LB7: what size tires do duallys come with from factory?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I have a 2001 dually and im trying to figure out what size tires were most common on them from the factory. in my research I found that there are apparently 2 different sizes. the tires I have on it now are 235/75-16 and they rub. my buddy has a set of ford rims that I could use with the 235s but I would like to know stock size for my best option. thanks

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
has anybody put the bolt on spacers between the wheels before? having trouble finding rims to use 235/85-16's so i thought i could maybe use those spacers. want to know if they work before i buy some. also, what size should i get?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I run 235/85/16 on my drw but have to use a spacer between duals to keep them from rubbing. I use a 1/2" spacer but could prob get away with a 1/4 or 3/16

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
All 235 85 16's aren't the same either. Check tire specs. I ran a set a Michelin and they were or would rub.

I ran a set of Cooper 235 85 16's and the space was near or the same as stock with the 215's.

Then I ran a set of Firestone Transforce and the clearance with the tire aired up was IMO adequate.

The Michelin XPS Rib was the best ridding quietest tire I ever ran or bought and I feel just had a softer side wall therefore it would bulge more . The problem with not having adequate space is the tires will rub and create excessive heat which might cause a blow out.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
has anybody put the bolt on spacers between the wheels before? having trouble finding rims to use 235/85-16's so i thought i could maybe use those spacers. want to know if they work before i buy some. also, what size should i get?

My buddy has 2" spacers on his 235/85r16s michelins. Gap doesn't look overly huge and it doesn't see much off road time so rocks aren't much of an issue. No more sidewall rubbing issues now even loaded down

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
My buddy has 2" spacers on his 235/85r16s michelins. Gap doesn't look overly huge and it doesn't see much off road time so rocks aren't much of an issue. No more sidewall rubbing issues now even loaded down

thanks, thats kind of what i was looking for, didnt know how much spacer to use or if the bolt on spacers between the wheels were safe or not

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thanks, thats kind of what i was looking for, didnt know how much spacer to use or if the bolt on spacers between the wheels were safe or not

they use to be a big no no but its pretty rare to hear about one breaking, usually they come loose due to lack of checking torque, then start eating things up so just keep them torqued to spec

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
they use to be a big no no but its pretty rare to hear about one breaking, usually they come loose due to lack of checking torque, then start eating things up so just keep them torqued to spec

what is spec exactly? i think ive googled it and come up with a few different answers, not sure if it says in my book or not.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Really I can say I have ever see a tire fail from rubbing. A lot of guys around here run big tires on their welding rigs and rub all the time. I'm not saying it's wise or I would do it. How far do you really drive loaded heat is the main concern not wear. Also airing up a bit would probably help. I wouldn't do 80 unless your close to max GVWR, but 60/65 should make a difference. To much spacer will put your tires outside the fenders too.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
That's why I didn't like spacers well 2" anyway.

I agree with the rubbing unless your at GVWR and it's a 110 outside and the asphalt is a ka-xillion degrees you've been driving for 10 hours you hit the biggest bump in the road you've ever seen and the sidewalls bulge ,ya maybe ! :D