What should be my first mod?

13dmax83

May 9, 2016
Deep Eaat Trxas
Ok guys, as my introduction stated earlier in the week, i am brand new to diesels. I have been doing tons and tons of research on the duramax and the many different mods and options to choose for it. So that being said, should i start with a CAI, or should i save my money and look into EFI live? Truck and engine are stock. Im just looking into and getting input on what i could and should start with.

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
If you want to push any kind of power over 430hp. Build trans then lift pump then tune it. Trans is a big coat but once its done you can really push the truck

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Efi and Trans pressure tune. No need for an intake until you're well into built Trans territory.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

13dmax83

May 9, 2016
Deep Eaat Trxas
And what exactly are you talking about when you talk building the transmission? Are you referring to a shift kit or going with a whole new built tough trans?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
And what exactly are you talking about when you talk building the transmission? Are you referring to a shift kit or going with a whole new built tough trans?
We mean take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Give them money and drive home happy. Don't buy any pre-built units unless it's done by a known quality builder. No purple.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
The 2011-newer trucks have pretty strong transmissions.. I dont know a ton about lml's, but from what people have told me and from what ive seen and read. They can hold a good amount of power on the stock trans, if I was you, I would look into a cp3 conversion, then tune.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
The 2011-newer trucks have pretty strong transmissions.. I dont know a ton about lml's, but from what people have told me and from what ive seen and read. They can hold a good amount of power on the stock trans, if I was you, I would look into a cp3 conversion, then tune.
Treed me by 3 hrs lol. I have seen many lmls into the 650 hp range on stock trans. Actually see one almost 750. That's about the limit to them.

As for the cp4 pump. If you have relatively low miles like 50k or so you can get by with it for now. Once they hit 100k or higher it's best to swap.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nick31

Apr 14, 2016
I am on a stock trans with everything in sig @ 130k miles with no issues, i do have tuning for higher line pressure.

If i had to do it all again I would have did the trans first, however. Reason I didn't is because my stock turbo took a dump so I had to drop the change on a new setup and wasn't about to put a stock one back in.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I would suggest to get efi live tuning now and then if you still want some more power you can build transmission.. Stock transmission will hold just fine if your on stock cp4 and stock charger.. Unless there is something wrong with it I should add.. And when you get ecm tunes get the tcm tune also.. That will help it to hold better.. Just my thoughts though

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Just finished going through a 15 with 23k mi a few weeks ago. CP4 put metal powder through everything.., return lines, tank, hard lines, filter head, every fuel line was a mess, it sucked. That stuff is rediculous to get out with as fine as it is. Went back together with a WCF delete, sportsman CP3 kit & PPEI tunes.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
My tricks running Korys tunes everything in my sig. I to have his trans tuning an his guys there have done multiple pulls making close to the 750 range on a stock trans with trans tuning an doing great.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Im making 650 plus on stock tranny with Tcm tunes......no slippage at all, only thing is the lml converters suck so really need at good convertor. X2 on cp3 conversion