Question: What is your favorite brake controller?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I haven't heard that one since I was in elementary school!!:rofl:

How much does a Prodigy P3 go for around you guys cause they are FN expensive in Canada!!
I found one on eBay for my dad, and I think it was something like $110. I think my standard Prodigy was about $20 less and works just as well. It's the same unit except without the fancy display, and I think it's easier to adjust, or quicker at least.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I have been running the BrakeSmart for years now. Beats any inertia system out there, but it comes at a higher initial price. The benefit is truly proportional braking and total control. Never, ever, an issue. Smooth. And it even lets me know if there is a problem with trailer brake circuit. (partial short, bad coil,....)

But, what do I know.....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How does this brakesmart work-in more detail please? The DR.Perf site is a little vague and goes on about air bags and stuff but doesn't really say what else makes it better braking wise. Does it monitor how much braking force is being applied at the truck or something to match the trailer?:confused:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The BrakeSmart monitors the trucks brake line pressure and sets the trailer brakes in proportion to the line pressure.

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
And it even lets me know if there is a problem with trailer brake circuit. (partial short, bad coil,....)

But, what do I know.....

P3 has the same for diagnostics. Probably depends on how much you haul and what your willing to do to install the controller. P3 only took a few minutes. Guessing that the Brakesmart takes a bit?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Same as others plus the pressure sensor install. Took me an additional 15 minutes to drill the hole in the firewall and install the actual sensor.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The BrakeSmart monitors the trucks brake line pressure and sets the trailer brakes in proportion to the line pressure.

That's a good idea, can you override the auto settings in case the sensor fails, or you are running on snowy roads?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The proportion and aggressiveness is adjustable. There is always the required manual lever on the side of the controller. I change the proportion from empty trailer (~6000#) and loaded (~17,000#) to keep from locking up the brakes when unloaded. Loaded, I let the trailer do most of the braking. But that is just me.

Just having a controller the responds to the pedal is a huge help in foul weather.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I suppose it would be. Maybe I should start saving my shekels as I believe my third controller has crapped it's pants and I may need a new one.

Trailerhauler

Trailer Hauler
Dec 18, 2009
Definitely the Prodigy. I've pulled for 30 years, going back to old tap in the brake line system. Used many different ones since and the Prodigy is the best so far.