what engine oil should i use?

LtEng5

Mar 24, 2013
CT
how many miles are you going between full changes...??

with the AMSoil 15w-40 HD you can run 25,000 mile plus. basics is a filter change at 12,000 to 15,000 miles and a full oil and filter change at the 25,000 mark. if ou were to do a $10; or less; oil analysis you may even be able to run farther than the 25,000 mile mark.

there are quite a few big truck fleets and individuals doing just this and are well out over 45,000 miles with just filter changes and analysis. the oil test also gives you a look inside the motor to "see" what is happening in terms of wear to bearing, injectors, rings, head gaskets, oil pump, oil cooler, cam.......

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I use Delo 400 and oil analysis every change. I'm using ~12k mile changes, and they say I could go 14-15k on the Delo, but I'd rather keep it under and not worry.

Changing your oil at 2,500 miles isn't doing anything but giving away money. But hey, it's America, and your money, so go nuts.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I'll take the $40 chance and change mine every 2,000-2,500 miles lol.

Yea me too. Screw running out to 25,000 miles. The oil would be so thick and nasty from soot by 25000. I don't care what some $10 analysis says. I just do the standard 3000 mile change.

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
Yea me too. Screw running out to 25,000 miles. The oil would be so thick and nasty from soot by 25000. I don't care what some $10 analysis says. I just do the standard 3000 mile change.
Me three.

There's a guy who lurks on DP and also BITOG who swears that "oil is oil" and his analyses show that wear increases when the oil is changed (IOW, according to his highly scientific testing and beyond reproach expertise, there is less wear with used oil than new oil, up to a point that is a lot more miles than most people would ever go). I almost think he'd put in the used stuff from an oil change shop if the oil analysis looked OK.

I think that an oil analysis is incomplete if it doesn't include what's in the filter media, but that is normally never tested.

As for me, I use the $12/gal. Delo or Delvac from WalMart and change when the DIC says it needs it. I use Bosch Premium or Purolator PureOne filters.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
chit, my white truck had 1900 miles on it and was on its 6th oil change LOL

my black lbz has 9200 miles on the motor and im on oil change number 7.

its VERY cheap insurance to me.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
chit, my white truck had 1900 miles on it and was on its 6th oil change LOL

my black lbz has 9200 miles on the motor and im on oil change number 7.

its VERY cheap insurance to me.

exactly, it's safe and cheap investment why risk it,

it would be like using a condom twice because it worked so well the first time :roflmao:

some people have gone longer but not every single motor was built exactly the same so you never know what to expect.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Me three.

There's a guy who lurks on DP and also BITOG who swears that "oil is oil" and his analyses show that wear increases when the oil is changed (IOW, according to his highly scientific testing and beyond reproach expertise, there is less wear with used oil than new oil, up to a point that is a lot more miles than most people would ever go). I almost think he'd put in the used stuff from an oil change shop if the oil analysis looked OK.

I think that an oil analysis is incomplete if it doesn't include what's in the filter media, but that is normally never tested.

As for me, I use the $12/gal. Delo or Delvac from WalMart and change when the DIC says it needs it. I use Bosch Premium or Purolator PureOne filters.

I run a K&P serviceable lifetime oil filter that uses a surgical steel grade mesh filter media that traps contaminants down to 12 micron absolute, and down to a possible 6 micron. It out flows the stock stock paper filter's potential at only 1psi
http://www.kandpengineering.com

I also run a PPE oil centrifuge, and I still change the engine oil no later than 7500mi...

And after about 4 or 5 oil changes with both products and the EGR deleted, my oil isn't black anymore immediately after startup, it looks brown @ 1k miles still:D

There's no way I would run 25k on an oil change, even with the best oil in the world, oil analysis isn't enough for me, I still have a hard time believing that new oil will break down an engine faster, wtf, that doesn't even make sense:confused:

Although, when I drove for U.S Express, they weren't changing the oil out of the old N14 in the freightliner for 250k :eek: I drove the truck they issued me for a over a year (appx. 150k mi) and they only did an oil analysis and maintenance every three months or so...at one time the (15 years or so ago) one of the tech's told me the newer rigs were testing out "million mile oil"....yeah, good luck with that:joker:

exactly, it's safe and cheap investment why risk it,

it would be like using a condom twice because it worked so well the first time :roflmao:

:spit: lol, funny :roflmao:
:rofl:
Agreed

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Woah, I'm not saying 25k miles on a change. I'm saying 12-15k with good oil. And with clean tuning, for sure. My tunes run pretty darn clean most of the time. For smokey tunes, you'd want to change the oil a bit sooner.

Also, a good oil analysis is not $10. I pay closer to $30, plus shipping. (And yes, I realize I could change the oil every 6k and not sample, and it would cost me the same. But I like to see what is going on in the engine, and I like to strive for "ideal" which in this case is the longest safe use I can get on the oil. ~300k miles on the motor so far, changing it with the DIC or just past)

At ~12k mile changes (whenever the DIC reaches 0, then keep driving until the weekend) the analysis shows the oil as having very little insolubles (suspended debris), but the additive package is about used up. The oil itself is fine, but there is more to an oil change than the oil.

If you change the filter with one that has fresh additives, that will extend your drain interval out quite a lot. But at that point, I just feel better swapping the oil out too. 0 insolubles beats "very little" any day.
Haha well I have a $50,000 truck with another $30,000 in upgrades, surely that $40 isn't as much as a waste as all the rest of it is lol
If you feel it is making a difference, it is :thumb: Peace of mind is worth some money alone.
I'm just saying you are being overly conservative. No harm in that.
...and I still change the engine oil no later than 7500mi...
No harm in that. The book says 10k for severe service and/or if you accidentally reset the DIC. So anything less than that is 100% safe. Peace of mind is worth a bit of $$.
And after about 4 or 5 oil changes with both products and the EGR deleted, my oil isn't black anymore immediately after startup, it looks brown @ 1k miles still:D
My truck would always stay brown for at least 500 miles. Once I blocked the EGR, I now go 1k to 1.5k before it goes black. Stock filter, nothing fancy. I think the EGR is the biggest problem the oil filtration has to deal with on these engines.

Though for the record, I am jealous of your PPE centrifuge.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
I've only used Amsoil 15w40 HD synthetic in my engine but 100$ for 10 qts is kinda ridiculous... What the hell should I change it with?

I was using rotella but now with the new engine I'm trying out schaffers 20w50 7000 racing oil and it seems pretty bad ass. Others I know claim 1-2 mpg gain along with some freed up horsepower It cost about 111.00 for 5 gallons which is not bad.