Question: What bed size?

AdkWoody

Gonna Get a Diesel
Nov 9, 2012
Up State, NY (Toga area)
Ok, I have decided to purchase my first diesel, and I know it will definitely get a DMax. Here's my dilemma, I am leaning toward the 3500 over the 2500, but am completely up in the air about the bed size. Short box or long? :confused:

I currently have a '99 GMC Sierra regular cab long box 1500. I love my 8' bed with a cap. There are only two things I know for sure. It will be a crew cab, and it will have a big cap since I use the bed to store stuff all the time. This will be MY daily commuter, family car, camper puller, side job money maker.

So I open it up to you guys. 2500 vs 3500 and short box vs long box. What combo would you go for or what do you have? To the CCLB owners, how is driving, parking, turning? IMO, it seems like a LOT of truck. :feedback:

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i love mine. once you get used to driving such a long vehichle there really isnt much handicap.... parking in small ares is a bit tricky though

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Id get a long bed if you tow heavy alot. Like teabagged said tho you do get used to driving the long vehicle, but parking can be a bitch sometimes. Either way you go i think youll be happy.

squeeky

EAT BEEF!!
Feb 11, 2009
Grand Rivers, KY
I've always had a long bed but had to settle with a short bed with this truck. It takes a lot getting use to going to short after having a long bed.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
When you get use to the long bed you will be fine. Backing into parking spots is easiest and make sure when ever you park pick a spot you will be able to get out

AdkWoody

Gonna Get a Diesel
Nov 9, 2012
Up State, NY (Toga area)
My wife is more into the looks of the truck than I am. I'm going to put a huge RT series A.R.E. truck cap on it because I need the cargo dry and snow free through ALL weather conditions, not because it looks pretty. The long bed I have now gets packed front to back all the way to the top of my high top cap 2-3 times a year (for camping vacations/road trips). The rest of the time it's mostly empty accept for some boxes going here and there. I'm just wondering if it warrants the need to get one on my new truck. Towing is again 2-3 times a year for the camper. I plan on getting a newer/bigger one of those that my new truck will be able to handle it. lol.
JoshH, My dealership here in upstate NY had a couple of the short bed 3500 with the single rear wheel. I think it's DRW that is only available in the 8ft. I do not want one of those..... yet...
Corvettekent, why would you suggest a 3500? Is there a huge ride or handling difference between the two after their broken in? I couldn't tell the difference between the two brand new.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I could never deal with a short bed again after having this truck (cc/lb). I love being able to have my tool box in the back and still 6.5' of bed space.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Chey/GMC are the worst turning trucks made, takes a country mile to turn one around. From what you state wanting a 3500, as Josh said they only come in long beds anyway Can't haul much in a short bed 2500 CC. My brother-in-law cusses his all the time because he lives somewhat remote and hauls a lot of stuff. Not much room. Really cramps it down if you put a topper on it.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Guys I know what you mean about 3500 only having long beds, but I just looked at the the new modelsand they do offer cc/sb for the 3500 now. So I'm assuming he wants a 2012 or newer.

dr.p/02cc

apprentice deisel rodder
Oct 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
I've always had LB Chevys, except for a 2000 with a 6.0l, absolutley hated it. Drove it for 10 mos. then bought my first Duramax. Will never go back. They are a pain at the Walmart, but it's worth the hassel keeping the LB. On my second crew cab long box now, a 2011 LML.:thumb:

AdkWoody

Gonna Get a Diesel
Nov 9, 2012
Up State, NY (Toga area)
Thanks for the advice guys. So CCSB owners are saying they wish they had the LB at times. I suppose it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.....

OK, what about the 3500 vs 2500? Suspension, handling and fuel economy wise. Is there a difference in any of those three things? I only have ONE shot at this, so I'd like to get it right the first time with no regrets! lol.

Yes this will be a 2013 model year. I test drove both in the CCSB but there were none in the CCLB for me to test drive. Both 3500 and 2500 seemed to feel the same over some potholes on the test drives, but I read ONE post on one of these forums that the suspension on the 3500 is similar at first but then become very stiff and ruff after a short break in period. I haven't seen anything else on that subject. Is that true? :confused:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I didn't know they started making a short bed 3500. Doesn't make much sense, but it's good to know.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I agree with what everyone is saying about getting a long bed. I wish my CCSB was a long bed at least once a week. Though I got mine used, and the long beds were out of my price range :(

I would lean toward a 3500 as well. The suspension is not all that different. Plus, I've never heard of suspension getting harder after breaking in, only softer, if it changes at all.

Also, it breaks the vehicle out of the 9,900 GVWR class, jumping to 11,600. This is largely a legal / "on paper" change, as the trucks are similar underneath. However, it means you can haul almost a ton more in the bed legally. Just make sure you have the right license in your state, as many states require a Class B (or similar) license for GVWRs over 10,000 lbs.

AdkWoody

Gonna Get a Diesel
Nov 9, 2012
Up State, NY (Toga area)
So the general consensus of the forum so far is... GO BIG OR GO HOME with the 3500 CCLB. :woott: OK so to the owners of such beasts..... What are you getting for gas mileage with them? I can get used to a longer truck, but I would also like to get used to better fuel economy than the 12 highway I get with my '99 4.8L gasser. I don't want same or worse. It's part (very, very, very small part) of the reason I'm switching! It IS however what convinced the wife to back me in my transition to diesel. :thumb:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
cc/lb 3500 with a cap FTW!!!!

IMAG0033.jpg

only thing better is a van:woott::coolspot: