welding the frame

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
I know alot of the newer frames are not supposed to be welded on but are the frames on our trucks recomended for welding?

I am a competent welder and have worked on many frames over the years from older hotrods with no problems on the street and at the track so my welding is not in question. I know to use fish plate at all joints and a few other tricks to make things strong. I just seem to remember reading about some of these new frames being prone to cracking after welding.

I would be cutting a complete crew cab short bed down to a single cab short bed and then welding on body mounts as well as a 4 link rear.

thoughts?

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
I have done alot of welding on car truck frames (chassis) and have never had a problem but I have always preheated first and if ambient temp is really cold I will also do post heat to cool off gradually

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
People have been welding to these frames for a long time and I don't think I have seen anyone saying they had issues. As long as you aren't doing any straight vertical welds on a frame face you should be fine.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I welded to mine when I built my traction bars... so far so good. The factory welded stuff to our frames so I figured I'd give it a try... I ran my welds along the frame, not across it (if that makes sense)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
theoretically the part you 'arent supposed to' weld to is the hydroformed part....ie, the front frame rails; from the front body mount forward.

ben

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
just do it you'll be fine! Now you're just thinking too much :rofl:

Tell me about it. I'm out here in the middle of nowhere with just my thoughts and the internet :D (wife says thats bad)

As soon as I get home I have 6 chassis's lined up to go look at already gotta get my ducks in a row before then.

thanks guys :thumb:

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
If you are worried about cracking you can try preeheating and postheating. If someone gives me the metal alloys I can look up the process. Off the top of my head I would guess the heat may be 850-900°f

HEEPJEEP

<--- Solid Axle "Leveled"
Mar 26, 2009
NH
We have done alot of Vertical Welding on Truck Chassis (Frames) as long as your going UP not down

It's easier for the frame to crack if it's a straight line/vertical. Plenty of people have welded like that and had no issues, but they may not have stress/strained it enough for any issue to show. It's stronger and less likely to crack if you weld using a curve, "fish-eye", diamond with curved point, etc. Cracks tend to propagate in straight lines where there's a stress riser/concentration.