Welding on the frame question

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
I have the kryptonite pisk brace. It is bolted on one end and they recommend to weld the other end. Is just disconnecting the negative on the batteries enough to prevent damage to any electronics?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have the kryptonite pisk brace. It is bolted on one end and they recommend to weld the other end. Is just disconnecting the negative on the batteries enough to prevent damage to any electronics?
yes and make sure the ground for the welder is as close to the work piece as you can without interfering with where you are welding.

Reactions: Bdsankey

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've welded a bunch of stuff on vehicles. I've never disconnected a module or battery, and I've never had a problem with electronics. What you need to make sure you do is connect the ground to the piece you are welding. In other words, if you are welding the frame, ground the frame, if you are welding the body, ground the body, if you are welding the exhaust, ground the exhaust. Where you run into issues is if the current has to travel through something to complete the circuit. So if you ground to the frame and weld the exhaust, the current has to travel through something to complete the circuit to weld, and that can cause electrical surges that can kill modules if it hits it just right.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Some times Just re- connecting the battery terminals is enough to cause a spike to take out a module... I have seen this happen on the GMT 900 Body control modules and a Saturn Vue OEM Radio.

They typically recommend you connect the red positive cable first before connecting the ground.