Venturi catch can setup

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m with Luke. The room under the hood is awesome compared to my 02 even if I yank the twins and dual fueler. Lots of parts come off in big chunks

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pcv re-route done. Super simple.

No need for a bored out horn imho. It’s literally the same size at the turbo bore with a slight lip for the surge port to recycle back.
4e08846485547c3c0cf5f77d08f1ff17.jpg

Tube coming off. I hate these one time use pos bands
cd5973e4a5cc8c3ee77aefb046bdf48c.jpg

e3e45d4bca17822452c602dccdb7b282.jpg

She’s a 7/8” dia. Rubber cap from autozone and good to go with a hose clamp
05d48b4ba6889e7c37cf64e363d1efb4.jpg

e8790c4b5bf675a086f25a6b1efe2711.jpg

Turned around and popped the hose over the intercooler tube, added a 7/8 barb I found at ace hardware and some 7/8 oil line I had from another project
4faedba0ac65749e90d6c5a94ec79256.jpg

c6775b4acb1fd158d7dfc03a719c5eb6.jpg

55d49ddf7790e4a375fea2c939f06807.jpg

1b64584a2fc0a5d82c635a5a431ae225.jpg

Now there is a metal tube coming from the outlet side of the turbo that goes down into the factory catch can. No idea what it does. Might have to look into that. You can see the tube in the pic with the intercooler tube and the pcv hose going over it

tjs82

Gearhead
Nov 1, 2016
Southern Wisconsin
Found this on Mitchell. Their wording makes it a little hard to follow, but it sounds pretty similar to the LML PCV system.

GM4290071

An oil/air separator (2) is located on the left valve cover. Oil entrained gases from the crankcase enter the separator through a passage in the left valve cover. The gases flow through fixed and variable nozzles inside the separator which aid in removing oil from the gases. The nozzle varies flow based on the turbocharger compression vacuum to control crank case pressure. Fine oil particles coexsit on a synthetic flog impactor and drop into the sump. An eductor, fed by the turbocharger feed line, operates under the venturi principle and forces oil to drain into the left rocker cover.

Oil removed from the crankcase gases at the separator pass through tubing (4) and down to a check valve (5) at the bottom of the engine front cover (6). The oil drain check valve prevents the back-flow of crankcase pressure upwards through the drain. It allows oil to flow back to the crankcase when drain column pressures are above 2 kPa (0.29 psi).
Crankcase pressures are maintained between approximately -2.5 and +4 kPa (- 0.36 and 0.58 psi) during all engine operation modes.

With a closed crankcase ventilation system, it is normal for oil residue to be found on the turbocharger compressor wheel and inside the charge air cooler, pipes, and hoses.

No routine maintenance is required to the crankcase ventilation system.

Here's my take on the line from the compressor outlet:

In both the old and new PCV setups, the intake is used to create a pressure differential (less pressure in the vent line than in the crankcase) at the vent port on the valve cover. The previous motors (and most other factory turbo PCV systems) directly used intake vacuum from the pre-compressor portion of the intake to draw air out of the case. With this new setup the vacuum is created by a venturi inside the separator. In order to create a venturi though, steady airflow is needed. Under boost, pressurized air from the compressor outlet flows through the separator back to the compressor inlet. Inside the separator, air from the crankcase is drawn into the main air stream where it is forced to flow across a "synthetic flog impactor" to separate the oil before it's carried back to the compressor inlet. Same principle that most sandblasters and paint guns operate on, only here we're moving crankcase air/oil vapor instead of sand and paint.

Non boost operation (idling/decel/etc.) is where my interpretation of Mitchell's description gets a little cloudy though. Is there enough of a pressure differential from the compressor inlet to outlet to provide adequate flow to create a venturi? Or does it function like the old system, since both the compressor inlet and outlet are under relatively low pressure compared to the crankcase?

Also, if this is how the L5P PCV functions, wouldn't crankcase ventilation be superior in the factory configuration with a catch can between the separator and the compressor inlet? That way the crankcase air is being evacuated by intake vacuum rather than having to push it's way out of an atmospheric vent? I'd be curious to see how big of a difference, if any, there is in crankcase pressure between the two. Not trying to question your method James, I've got the exact same vent scheme on my LMM, and I've read enough of your posts to know that you've got far more experience with these trucks than I do!

I'm not 100% sure this is how the new PCV operates, I'm just using what I know to connect some dots. The last thing I wanna do is spread misinformation, so if I'm way off someone please correct me, I promise I won't get butthurt :thumb::thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Like Tim said, that’s pretty much it. Under the low boost or no boost, your not making much crankcase pressure so what does come out would be like the old factory systems, assuming much even does come out.

Additional catch cans still won’t catch everything beyond what the stock setup will. Better but you will still get oil vapor ingested over time. I just prefer to vent to atmosphere at this point. Simple, easy, and has caused no issues

1lunger

Mar 11, 2019
I’m a noob when it comes to this stuff, but what are you gaining by doing this? Just a little less hot air to the turbo? Is there other ways for the crank to vent? Is it making for a healthier motor? I’m working on getting someone to help with some parts falling off, but for now I’m willing to do anything that will help! I’ve installed a bypass filter system and if venting that house down along the frame helps, I’m all in. Is there any chance it could pull sand or water into the turbo in off road conditions? Thanks and sorry, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can!! I truly value the combined knowledge in these forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The oil mixed with the EGR makes for a mess in the intake. I prefer to block the egr as the oil doesn’t bother me

1lunger

Mar 11, 2019
The oil mixed with the EGR makes for a mess in the intake. I prefer to block the egr as the oil doesn’t bother me

But in this case the OP is blocking the chance for any oil, correct?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would rather ditch the egr or block it as well but this also stops build up of crap in the turbo and after as noted by the pics of other members.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Little update, 4k on the reroute and took it out to check and clean the tube.

there is a decent amount of oil on the barb and in the hose. You can also see quite a haze come out under the truck when it’s venting at idle. All that crap would have been in the turbo as this point 🤮

1FDA8A02-10C1-4029-8407-4796F940D566.jpeg

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
c599839c89b50ac9df2209e762f043f9.jpg

Looks the exact same. Going to do some stuff with the kids this morning, then I’ll see about pulling the intake horn as well and rerouting the pcv. Might be able to do my own bigger horn mod like my lb7 one I did.

I'd advise against modding the intake mouthpiece.... It will create a turbo surge. I can promise you that. It relies heavily on the mouthpiece flow dynamics to keep the turbo out of surge.

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
Little update, 4k on the reroute and took it out to check and clean the tube.

there is a decent amount of oil on the barb and in the hose. You can also see quite a haze come out under the truck when it’s venting at idle. All that crap would have been in the turbo as this point 🤮

View attachment 104197

Meh... If I remember correctly, I think it pulls pressure from the outlet of the turbo to feed into the pcv system for the vapor control. Open part of it to atmosphere and it breaks the system. The 17 I had, had very little oil residue on the intake at 50k miles.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'd advise against modding the intake mouthpiece.... It will create a turbo surge. I can promise you that. It relies heavily on the mouthpiece flow dynamics to keep the turbo out of surge.

gotta keep reading joshy :ROFLMAO: , later i wrote how there is no point in it as its very fluid into the turbos intake side

Meh... If I remember correctly, I think it pulls pressure from the outlet of the turbo to feed into the pcv system for the vapor control. Open part of it to atmosphere and it breaks the system. The 17 I had, had very little oil residue on the intake at 50k miles.

The pressure side is still there, this is strictly the large tube side that sees vac or no vac based on the turbo drawing air in. it should have no affect on how it works, just where the end result ends up.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yup! went back to stock a couple months ago when i needed some warranty work, then changed it back. No issues since. i do need to add a venturi to the exhaust either pre or post dpf. while its not going to have the flow to draw a significant vacuum on it, im more wanting it there to lessen the smell of the oil vapors and carry it out the back.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm going to guess that pre DPF may have too much back pressure to allow proper venting of the crank case

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’d honestly be curious. Might need to hook a back pressure gauge up. It can’t be that restrictive, specially with a turbo that is mapped very well for the power it puts out

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think a clogged DPF or one ready to start regen will have about 5 psi drop across the filter. I don't know if that would work for you. Would be interesting to see what your gauge will show

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i wonder if there is a pressure differential PID or way to monitor pressure already. ill have to play with my mdi when i get time.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There is a pid for that. But I don't really trust the numbers. Good for comparison but not sure you can get accurate readings from it. Don't remember if it is in PSI or inHg or something else