Valley turbo upgrade - compounds - built engine

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
What's the consensus on the valley charger with the S475 in my sig and all associated upgrades? Looking to keep that peppy feel of the VGT and I'm no longer concerned about low end grunt bending rods. I'm leaning toward the 64mm vgt with the 10blade turbine but curious about the 66mm vgt with the even bigger exhaust housing. Curious which would suit my application better. Weekend driver with occasional/frequent towing a toy hauler through the mountains - 19K.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
...as big as you can go. :ROFLMAO: (Sorry, cant be very helpful on turbos......)

Id give Danville a call and ask Mark. IIRC, doesnt he have a pretty good VGT charger for this application?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It honestly depends on your goals. I personally would pair a quality 64mm with it IF you need a replacement. Something with a slightly larger turbine but not the massive GT40 style turbines some companies use as I don't feel like you're there yet.

The reason I say if yours is damaged is simply that you haven't reached the limits of that OEM charger yet. The 475 is still your bottleneck. No aftermarket turbo will tow as well as a properly setup OEM charger in terms of response. Now that you've got compounds it's an even larger gap IMO.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
It honestly depends on your goals. I personally would pair a quality 64mm with it IF you need a replacement. Something with a slightly larger turbine but not the massive GT40 style turbines some companies use as I don't feel like you're there yet.

The reason I say if yours is damaged is simply that you haven't reached the limits of that OEM charger yet. The 475 is still your bottleneck. No aftermarket turbo will tow as well as a properly setup OEM charger in terms of response. Now that you've got compounds it's an even larger gap IMO.

I’m replacing for a few reasons: I want to free up the turbine side. That is the choke point IMO. Secondly, having 180k, I can’t see throwing that on the new build to only have it live on a few more K miles. Although I don’t have serious shaft play, and no in and out play, I’m not convinced the vanes have been functioning properly as when the truck was warm, boost lag was pretty significant. Compounding it improved the issue, but it’s still on my mind. It may just be peace of mind, but while I’m doing all this work, I want to make sure the valley is doing it’s job well.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
What sort of power are you planning to make?
I want to tow happy at 500, then for the hot tune unloaded, 800ish is the target. I understand the 475 is the limiter there and maybe I’ll go to 480 someday, but the true purpose is to tow well and be able to make sustained power on 7% grades for miles on end. Truly, I think I want the biggest turbine I can get with the 64mm compressor side. Is that a 67mm, 10 blade on the turbine? Or is there bigger like 71/73 with 64mm?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The turbine side is not your current limitation for your goals. Look at what James was able to do with an itty-bitty port/polished (stock wheel) IHI. If you're replacing it for peace of mind I agree but it is not your major performance limitation at this second in time nor will it ever be at those HP numbers. The big turbine stuff isn't intended for towing heavy constantly as they don't come on as quick. I know Dan's and Titan for sure offer a massive turbine in their 64s but I don't know the Danville line well enough. I think you're trying to reinvent a wheel that already is great.

You will drop transient response as you increase turbine size. You truly do not need anything bigger than the smallest upgraded turbine available. I don't know about you but efficiency is my goal while towing and just slapping the largest turbine in there is not the way to solve that problem.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
The turbine side is not your current limitation for your goals. Look at what James was able to do with an itty-bitty port/polished (stock wheel) IHI. If you're replacing it for peace of mind I agree but it is not your major performance limitation at this second in time nor will it ever be at those HP numbers. The big turbine stuff isn't intended for towing heavy constantly as they don't come on as quick. I know Dan's and Titan for sure offer a massive turbine in their 64s but I don't know the Danville line well enough. I think you're trying to reinvent a wheel that already is great.

You will drop transient response as you increase turbine size. You truly do not need anything bigger than the smallest upgraded turbine available. I don't know about you but efficiency is my goal while towing and just slapping the largest turbine in there is not the way to solve that problem.
I’m with you. Efficiency is also the goal! This is why I love the forum. Lots of us who’ve lived each of these scenarios. I was under the impression the bigger turbine with high flow vanes on the VGT would maintain efficiency. The benefit would be lower drive pressure, higher velocity hot gas, as the atmosphere spins up, the vanes open, and then you’re basically free flowing - as much as that’s possible. Pushing through the small turbine I had thought was an efficiency problem as more pressure to do it = lost HP and higher temps/pressures.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If your main focus is towing performance, I would 100% leave the stock turbo alone. In my opinion, you will see more benefit in overall power from upgrading to a 480 than you would by upgrading the valley turbo.

Reactions: Bdsankey

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I tried towing with my setup awhile back. I have a 68 with a gt40 housing and 10 blade turbine with a billet s480. I hooked up to 15k to help a friend. I don't have a dsp switch so I took it easy on the big tune. All it did was cause a smoke show. I couldn't stay on top the chargers pulling hills unless I had the rpms up, then my oil temps were through the roof. After that I took the hitch off that way no one can ask me again 😂

Reactions: NevadaLLY

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Going with a 480/96 and keeping the turbine tight like a 1.0-1.15A/R and make sure you have oversized injectors. I have ran several different combos and the main goals were tow purposes with the ability to make good HP. I’ve have taken a stock LML valley with a 475/87 turbine and ran a 1.30 housing and it would tow very well. There really was one stage of boost as to how the chargers worked. Instant boost and could pull 20k like nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

The ihi had a wastegate tho so that helps it some.
The stock vgt turbo is good, I think 800hp is pushing it. Sure if you port and polish it’ll do better.
I would do a Danville 3794 and it’ll almost spool as good as a stock modded turbo

ouellet5

Sep 27, 2013
I ran S475/stock with 60% and 10mm on my lmm. Tow great and have some fun on the track :) EGT was great

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
480/96 1.32 feeding a dans 66 stage 3 with big gt40 turbine. 200% injectors and dual pumps. Hauling 10k lbs zero smoke. Stays on top of chargers all day. I don’t hit 6th gear till about 75ish. Otherwise I stay in 5th. Running about 15-20psi towing in 5th.
Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuPZagXRSw
Is the 66 laggy? I’m looking at the 64 stage 3 which still has the GT40 housing and high flow vanes

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV

Why not “there yet”. I don’t typically like doing things twice. I’d rather get the setup right the first time. Thoughts on dans 64 stage 3?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Why not “there yet”. I don’t typically like doing things twice. I’d rather get the setup right the first time. Thoughts on dans 64 stage 3?

I personally would get a stage 2 as I don’t think you will push it hard enough to need the large turbine based on what you’ve stated your goals are with the truck. The stage 3 would run fine but will be lazier.

You could also go with Mark’s 63.5mm stage 2 or a Titan Turbo Service 63.5/66. After seeing the poor excuse Dans gave a customer of mine on why they didn’t balance his turbo has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The stage 3 chargers work well in compounds. Airflow is what it’s all about. Tuning will fix any issue you have with the charger. Realize torque convertor selection is key to any major aftermarket change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I say be convervative on the valley turbo for your intended use and elevation, I over did it on mine. Everyone says high stall converters and shift points make up for laggy ass turbo's, that may be the case for a unloaded trucks used as a toy. But you can't be driving around all day with a unlocked loose ass converter spinning 2600+rpm. I use my truck the same way as what your trying to do, same elevation to and it's great unloaded. Now loaded it's a pos on the flats, just not much cruise boost, does great when the rpms are up or it's being fueled heavy. I'm downsizing on the valley eventually if I want to keep using it as a real truck towing. My trucks not a VGT either so that may be a little more benefit for you, but at the same time high vain percentage trying to make cruise boost towing is not going to help either.