Ughhhhh - Leaky Axle Seals!

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
I don't know about the LMM's having this problem, but if it helps any I have 122,000 and counting miles on my LB7 and I have never had a rear seal anything happen.

On a side note, taking it to the dealer for a "leak" usually is not a good idea. The average tech is going to find the easiest, quickest and most understandable reason why and fix that. If the problem even requires fixing... When it starts leaking again and you bring it back that tech will either get the truck or see it in the shop and explain to tech "b" whats going on... Basically you get screwed with for quite a while until someones feels nice enough to do the job right.

Blob some RTV in there and call it a day!!

Bentley

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Well... attempted this today. Whoever said that was a cap.... :ripped: haha - I pulled that "cap" off and out comes the axle shaft!

Anyways I just took Black RTV Silicone adhesive sealant and ran a bead around the cap, as well as around the axle tube and then popped it back into place, locktited the bolts and back on there, and then smoothed out the excess that oozed out of the crack once tightened down. Did a test drive just now of about 20 miles up to 100mph and things seem fine so far. Well see.

I convereted to Mobil 1 Synth at 300 miles, just like many do and I have previously, never this problem. Who knows....

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
lock tite cant hurt, but if you ever take it off in the future and dont have any lock tite avail. dont worry about it. Really the only things that need locktite are the caliper bolts.

Glad to hear you got it fixed...RTV works wonders...I guess thats why GM uses it for 90% of the places a gasket would normally go on the dmax.

Also good job fixing it yourself...dealers are a PITA, take forever, and you never know if they did the job "right". Also, gives you a chance to play around with things and learn how they work. First time I played with a full floater axle I thought it was a cap too. :D

(I didnt mean for that to sound as jackass as it did, I went back and read it after and didnt mean it like that :eek:: )

ben

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Nah its chill, I know what you mean.

Ya I pulled it off and felt it drop out of the carrier and was like o F***.... then I said wait a second, its just a splined shaft.... rtved it up and popped it back in haha.

Thanks for the help Ben and others:yourock::thankyou:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Damn! That's what made me wonder if it was the axle seal itself b/c like I said, I ripped my cap gasket when pulling the axles and I just stuck it back in the best I could and its still not leaking? I think they are more of a protective seal than anything, but I'm no expert.
Did you overfill your diff when you changed fluid and possibly blew out a seal that way?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
what color RTV did you use?

I would just go to the dealer and buy the right seal...cant be more than a few bucks, IIRC is a paper-type gasket.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Black RTV Adhesive Silicone. I cant see how that joke of a paper gasket is going to stop anything. Its not even coming out of the actual flange now, its weeping out of one or 2 of the actual bolt area (like under the head). Im going to back them out and put a small bead around every head of each bolt and crank it back down... should stop it. I had VERY minimal leakage with a 300 mile drive with speeds from 70-125 so who knows. Im thinking the extra rotational force of the higher speeds, along with running synth and it getting thinner with heat is just pushing it out slightly. Not sure

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
As I said before, I would just take it in for warranty.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I find it hard to believe that it is a sealant issue. Hell I've used red, black and bathtub caulking before with no leaks. It sounds like there is an issue there that needs to be looked at by the dealer. Scrape the sht off of it and try using the GM stuff. If it still leaks take it in. It may be a casting issue.