Twins with Twins, Anyone?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That’s the freeze plug on the pump and those parts probably knocked it out.
Yeah something beat the plug out. Found part of a spring in the debris also. It's headed to Exergy tomorrow for an autopsy.

Certainly not a common point of failure with stock or modified pumps. I found one diesel tech that has seen 2 similar over the years, both drove in shop pouring fuel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Pump is out and headed to MI. Looks like she shit her guts out the bottom, but detected no signs of metal in rails or injector feeds. So that's a good sign I guess.
8855c004d5675c7c6cc000a6ef4203df.jpg
62c6a7304775054fd9ee8e7a3f8ce0c0.jpg
dc8e48a01918433a7c0e42a2ed7a06bd.jpg

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I overnighted it to Phil, which was probably a waste of $ since my overnight Summit order from GA to FL is 3 days late.

That's even off the good engine which didn't have a lift pump failure, or spin 6000rpm once. And they have 10 micron water separators, into 1 micron filters after the lift pump. But when ya have two of them with exact same hours [30] and duties, kinda makes ya wonder. These are from pretty early in production if I recall.

b162419c47c6f6b9f8be7386b7585b4a.jpg

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That puts those pumps in 2016 production. The below is from Rob at Exergy.

The first two numbers are the year, the third number designates what size the pump is.
EPxx-2xxx = Sportsman
EPxx-0xxx = 10MM
EPxx-1xxx = 12MM
EPxx-3xxx = 14MM

Reactions: MarkBroviak

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
back 5-6 years prior to those pumps being built, that wasnt uncommon

Shows how long I've been messing with stroker pumps. My old 10mm was a 2015 based pump and still is kicking to this day. It's got around 70k miles on it now in a friends truck.

It's impressive to see how far we've come technologically.

Reactions: kidturbo

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Pretty uncommon to see with Exergy's pumps but Ken doesn't always seem to have the best luck unfortunately! I just looked it up and I got my 12mmcp3 4-30-2013 and it has been through the ringer on god knows how many different engine combos and fuel system setups and is now in my wife's LMM that I'm daily driving the wheels off of lol. Mine is one of the oldest out there because it was one of the first ones out into the field to be tested.

The A Team

Jul 26, 2015
I have a 7 year old Exergy 12mm pump and never had a issue still running strong today. I have seen those failure on other brands, and a few times on stock OEM pumps.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That seems to be the exact concencus on the street. Will be interesting to see what the autopsy reveals.

I'd say it's a boat thing, high sustained rpm. But I've been working around some guys lately who spin em 3600r loaded for hours straight before their engines ever leave the shop to be installed in a boat. They ain't seen it either.

I did complete the autopsy of the lift pump.. It drown, and lower bearing failed. Pretty straight forward, somehow got filled with water from engine wash downs. Likely the wiring bulkhead seal. Other one is fine..

c63b4ca0714037db3926d473702f12eb.jpg
d42b1821a212cb6ec38109605300fea0.jpg
923d94703c781a1029c9d7b96fdf811d.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I bet you can salvage that lift pump. Wash it good, do a quick acid wash and neutralizing rinse and dry it in the oven at low temp. Replace that bad bearing and, bam, working pump.

As for the CP3, would it be worth using a larger pulley on it to lower the RPMs at sustained cruising RPM? It may lower the output some but I don't believe they put out much more at the higher rpms anyways. Maybe belt it to simulate the CP3 running on an engine running around 2500 rpms. Maybe it will last longer

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'll have that lift pump back in action soon than later. Likely much sooner if the one I ordered last Sunday doesn't find it's way south of GA by morning. The CP3 made it from Florida to Michigan today with 3 minutes to spare on the overnight clock. So gonna let Summit ponder my satisfaction survey below... lol

order-tracking.jpg

Reactions: Bdsankey

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
My kid is a UPS center mgr, and he gave me 50/50 odds on that CP3 overnight yesterday based on Louisville volume and exceptions. Buddy of mine got stuck in Nashville airport for two days from Sunday. But why the heck they can't get air freight outa GA has got me. Ground would have made here it by now...

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
This week is looking up.. New lift pump showed up this morning, followed by a call from a Summit Racing rep who read my survey above. Apologized for delay and refunded my $35 shipping.

Second, Randy from Exergy rang me up to say they had just started tearing the CP3 pump apart, and it doesn't look like any metal made it into the top half. So that saved me from sending injectors out to be cleaned. He was curious about it's operating parameters and hours in service since these were assembled almost 5yrs back. But is certainly nice to work with someone seriously interested in discovering the root of the problem, no matter how long it's been out the door. I explained they get spun higher and longer than most will probably ever see. But still less than 40hrs on the clock. So feeling pretty certain it's gonna end up being a follower related issue. I did note a broken spring piece in the valley. So probably a chicken or egg question. The spring piece I found looks to been ran thru the crusher on way out hole.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
New 12mm pump arrived today, is bolted up, and the charge cooler back on top. Exergy guys were great to work with. Last thing remaining is mounting the turbo. My helper over last few days told me about some marine exhaust sealer he's had great luck with. Say is the chit to seal up leak prone V-Bands. So tomorrows plan is to put the turbo back on and fire em up again.

Anyone ever use use stuff before ?
Fuchs 762

No definitive answer yet on the cause of CP3 failure, but was promised a full run down next week. We did however go over some possible measures to lessen chance of future problems. In similar application with high sustained RPM over long periods, backing the rail pressure down to around 26k has shown good results. This discovered due to a customers super low lubricity fuel usage. Verified it so on C platform, and gonna ask a friend in cali if that's same line on the D platforms. However think I'm the only setup running stroked pumps under these same high RPM conditions. May have to consider adjusting the tuning to compensate up top. Cause just looking back at my tach recall pics and videos to date, seems I do spend the majority operating time above the 3000rpm line. That time being in minutes only so far.. lol