Twins with Twins, Anyone?

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
" His attempt of running compounds, big 40+ pitch props, without the two speed transmissions in a much faster hull is not yielding much better results. The compounds work, and he can get on plane, in a cloud of smoke after a mile or so.. Currently chasing piping issues between the turbos, cause off the shelf exhaust tubing doesn't last long when ya heat cycle it 1700F and back a few times over and over very long distance. "

I have been watching Tyson's build over on OSO, and I would add that he might also need to do some better supporting of the exhaust piping / turbos. Looking at some of the pictures of that setup, I have a feeling there are at least a few modes of those turbos that are getting excited by the engines which are causing some of his fatigue issues. The heat cycling is also not helping but I think there are some vibration issues need some help too.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ah without a doubt she needs a little upgrades to the turbo pipe work. But like me, few changes along the way, things keep getting moved. Believe that's same pipes they through together to test compounds on the dyno.

So far he's only cut up about a hundred bucks in pipe. I scrapped those nice SS jacked twin turbo up pipes for the V-band flanges and one 90 bend.. Which Mark actually donated half a nuckle to keep us from hacking up one day ... But in the end, 316L mandrel bends don't come cheap.

Tyson plans to go SS jacked, but believe he wanted to see the rest of that hardware pan out before spending a wad on fit and finish.

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
yes , we had the AC clutch disengage setup for the super chargers , it worked pretty damn good and come alive right away and drop in a second when turbos came alive. Sure you could order directly from VOLVO, but if i remember right they may have only made 25-30 PSI max, not sure if you can split them and change the rotary internals ? maybe order them differently, i bet they come from a different vendor and VOLVO paints them and slaps their sticker on em , anyway OP, gewt that baby on super plane !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok I spent half the weekend researching supercharger options. Like 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Superchargers. Never did find the exact blower design I was looking for. It's a non-roots, with post like fingers on the case and shaft that created boost without the normal positive displacement dual roller pins. I only recall the demo of them showing no restriction without a belt. Anyone ??

But I did find all the other required hardware, including the Correct Switch.

Source: https://youtu.be/PjQA8lqyqfw

The modern Clutched Eaton setup used by the likes of Volvo T6 Drive-E 2.0-L and MB, also incorporates intake valving to redirect airflow around the SC if turbos are included. So the clutch is basically to remove the blowers load off the engine once the turbo overtakes it. All of this fancy valving and clutching controlled by the ECU.

Source: https://youtu.be/3-O5_LfeT2c

Even Banks has tackled this blower / turbo trade of trickery a couple times in the past. In the end, he settled on a electronic TB valving for tidy layout. But one must appreciate this attempt to do by boost pressure alone..

In the end, I believe the easiest way to do it is buy a MAD MAX switch, and make that the Master Arm for a couple of these 20# units. Spooling Problems Solved !!

NOS1.jpg

Reactions: Bdsankey

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Ok I spent half the weekend researching supercharger options. Like 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Superchargers. Never did find the exact blower design I was looking for. It's a non-roots, with post like fingers on the case and shaft that created boost without the normal positive displacement dual roller pins. I only recall the demo of them showing no restriction without a belt. Anyone ??

But I did find all the other required hardware, including the Correct Switch.

Source: https://youtu.be/PjQA8lqyqfw

The modern Clutched Eaton setup used by the likes of Volvo T6 Drive-E 2.0-L and MB, also incorporates intake valving to redirect airflow around the SC if turbos are included. So the clutch is basically to remove the blowers load off the engine once the turbo overtakes it. All of this fancy valving and clutching controlled by the ECU.

Source: https://youtu.be/3-O5_LfeT2c

Even Banks has tackled this blower / turbo trade of trickery a couple times in the past. In the end, he settled on a electronic TB valving for tidy layout. But one must appreciate this attempt to do by boost pressure alone..

In the end, I believe the easiest way to do it is buy a MAD MAX switch, and make that the Master Arm for a couple of these 20# units. Spooling Problems Solved !!

View attachment 104093
Just mount 2 mother bottles and paint them to look like torpedoes. Form must follow function.

Reactions: kidturbo

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
For you Mad Max fans, or rare Ford enthusiasts, the original 1973 GT Falcon [never offered in the states] labeled the Pursuit Special, also referred to as the Last of the V8 Interceptors has a Wikipedia Page.

Which according to, says the original movie car was passed around Australia junk dealers, bought and restored, showed, then shipped to a museum in England which closed. About 10yrs ago, it was sold to a Miami FL museum that since closed, and the collection moved to the Soon To Open Orlando Auto Museum.

I find it funny how the Aussies are such big collectors of our car history, and their cool junk somehow ends up over here.. When in the end, it's the same Ford or GM powertrain underneath both..

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok guys need some a little help from all ya Duraburb gurus..

To data log the transmission output shaft I'm adding a magnet ring and pickup on the driveshaft yoke. Plan was just data log that RPM vs Engine RPM with V2. However can't seem find any description on bringing a pulse sig in on the AD inputs.

So I did a little digging, and looks like a T42 TCM could be hacked to at least data log output shaft speed, pressure, and temps pretty easy and capture ECM and TCM data with the V2. With a little work, and the proper TCM OS, it seems the T42 can do tap shift via pin-10 input. This was used only on the 05-07 GXP. while majority of cars used the BCM and canbus commands. This may also been used on some Corvette platforms, but I know from experience the canbus data on the Vette up to 2014 is totally different from all other GM platforms.

If could find a GXP 4L80 OS, or similar, then it's possible I could control the shifting of BOTH transmissions using the T42 TCM fed via single GPS speed input signal. Basically setup the TCM tune as a "2-Spd" ,, ditch all the DTC , line pressure controls, and such. Then set both units to shift by Speed only, or Speed and RPM, and possibly incorporate the Shift Torque Limiting features at the same time..

Thoughts?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
What about a VGT turbo or a ball bearing turbo? I forgot what turbos are on it now.
It's currently running Bullseye NLX476 's with ceramic bearing centers. VGT would certainly help. However knowing we had the 2-spd behind em, the big single was our "second" option.

Personally I would love to do this with em. The early F1 model just had a motor on the input shaft..

What ya think Mark?

Mercedes-AMG Is Putting an Electric Turbocharger Into Production

20c0173-013-1592341058.jpg

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
It's currently running Bullseye NLX476 's with ceramic bearing centers. VGT would certainly help. However knowing we had the 2-spd behind em, the big single was our "second" option.

Personally I would love to do this with em. The early F1 model just had a motor on the input shaft..

What ya think Mark?

Mercedes-AMG Is Putting an Electric Turbocharger Into Production

20c0173-013-1592341058.jpg

oh wow I would have thought those wouldn’t be a problem, what turbine housing?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I forget, it's back a few pages.. Pretty loose, 106 if I recall.

Only problem they have is holding boost below 1700r heavily loaded. Engines only making about 1150EGT, and then run that thru a water cooled pipe before it gets to the turbine wheel.. They just need a little shot of juice right there to make it over the 2000R hump. Above that, they're lit and good to go.

Once again it all falls back on the transmissions shifting fasts and holding under WOT if necessary. Now that I know the trick, will just shift em at 4k and roll with it. But if I can get a TCM wired up and working off GPS input, I should be able to fine tune the shift points, and torque limit on upshift just like in a truck. Then at that point, just pin the throttles and let em eat....

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Transmissions made it back. Found some used hardware to help get the shifting sorted out.

Was going to fit a tone ring to the output hub, but size was to small. Considered cutting 40 teeth into the hub, but in the end, taking the easy route. Tone rings outa 243 transfer cases fitted to the yokes. In a boat, those don't move up or down any,, we hope..
abdeff7a5d0def9899139708adec9c9c.jpg
95b8d5fb3dc8a7943664f06a439a7998.jpg
147d02623b6e393636675d815f43b1e3.jpg
7553deb064eff20513a4848d2838f533.jpg
cd0c6e66e0e48b0b3b93e3eb11093622.jpg

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk