Twins with Twins, Anyone?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Could someone of Kid's acumen create a more robust controller himself?

IIRC, those pumps are Laing D5 strong pumps with custom tops. Ive got a couple in the garage, never found the time to install them.
I would have to look at the old sitting here. I tried to find an alternative replacement with no luck
I have twin Kennedy lift pumps, with his controller, that I've had for a darn long time... Over a decade, minimum. All are still working as intended.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Good for you. There are lots of people who've had no issues, that's why I purchased them in the first place

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I ran the same pumps on my truck for a few years, but I got them from TTS (who I'm guessing is no longer in business). They also used the standard housing. I had the dual pumps with the controller from TTS that controlled each pump individually depending on oil pressure and boost. One pump by itself would do about 3 psi and the second would bump it up to about 6, but they didn't really keep up during high loads. I think it would pull down to about 2 psi with a stock CP3 and 0 with dual fuelers. I don't know if rail pressure suffered as a result, but the flow rate at pressure sure didn't seem to be very high given what I saw from mine.

Reactions: LBZ and juddski88

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I ran the same pumps on my truck for a few years, but I got them from TTS (who I'm guessing is no longer in business). They also used the standard housing. I had the dual pumps with the controller from TTS that controlled each pump individually depending on oil pressure and boost. One pump by itself would do about 3 psi and the second would bump it up to about 6, but they didn't really keep up during high loads. I think it would pull down to about 2 psi with a stock CP3 and 0 with dual fuelers. I don't know if rail pressure suffered as a result, but the flow rate at pressure sure didn't seem to be very high given what I saw from mine.

Because the pumps weren't staged properly to run in series, they would've performed slightly better in parallel. It would be great to see/find a maglev motor/pump combo with adjustable external regulator that worked for diesel fuels and didn't break the bank

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Because the pumps weren't staged properly to run in series, they would've performed slightly better in parallel. It would be great to see/find a maglev motor/pump combo with adjustable external regulator that worked for diesel fuels and didn't break the bank
I'm an engineer........ please don't get me started on another project........

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They were staged the same way Kennedy stages them.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
On one of the forums I recall some one giving a part number from the manufacture but I have not been able to find it through all the garbage... Only the one post that Kennedy gave specs on the flow rate of the pump.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Since you gave up the triples build, Please start on another project... :LOL:
It looks like it would be very easy to do. The Laing D5 strong pumps are rated at enough flow (~1800L/h which is approximately but they aren't cheap enough for me to want to get into that. I'd probably have $300-$400 into it in parts with a retail around ~$500. At that point it's not much of a benefit over say a FASS or AirDog.

The D5 Strong also needs 24V to reach it's max flow. This isn't hard to achieve with a simple step-up converter.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
They were staged the same way Kennedy stages them.
I know. John got the idea from TTS. His seriesed pumps only supported roughly. 500hp. I had a set of his Carters on my very first build around 2007 that made 525hp and was dropping rail badly with Tony's tuning. They still were supplying 2psi at the cp3 during that event. I paralleled them and was able to keep rail and make 560hp on the same dyno a few weeks later, similar weather, even though pressure at the cp3 was less than 1psi. At the end of the pull.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
TTS Power Systems Is still around although it looks like they have completely gotten out of the Automotive side and gone To motorcycles. Also still in the Compton area of California. mastertune.net

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
TTS Power Systems Is still around although it looks like they have completely gotten out of the Automotive side and gone To motorcycles. Also still in the Compton area of California. mastertune.net
I wonder if they'd be willing to sell their info? Worth a shot but I also don't think I'd see my money back sadly :(

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Cheapest I found the pumps was ~$92 a pump so that's $200 just in pumps :(

It looks like it would be very easy to do. The Laing D5 strong pumps are rated at enough flow (~1800L/h which is approximately but they aren't cheap enough for me to want to get into that. I'd probably have $300-$400 into it in parts with a retail around ~$500. At that point it's not much of a benefit over say a FASS or AirDog.

The D5 Strong also needs 24V to reach it's max flow. This isn't hard to achieve with a simple step-up converter.
Did you find the actual correct pumps? LMB15107194 Is the Number on some of the Kennedy pumps I have seen on line. Every where else I looked were different variations of this style pump

Kenedy Diesel LMB15107194 Pump Spec.jpg

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Not a project worth starting IMO. Those of us that have been in the game for the past 15-20 years have seen and done almost everything you can imagine when it comes to lift pumps. Some worked, some didn’t, some have been improved on and are still around today.

Belt driven Mitusa, electric Carter, fuelab and aeromotives before they came out with diesel approved units, kennedy’s, TTS, PPE were some of the first ones that most of us used as that’s all there was. Then came the modern day airdog and FASS and BD venom units that range from daily driver to race.

TBH what’s on the market today is really well designed and tested. Can’t really go wrong with any of them. Just pick the one that suits your needs.

My opinion if you don’t care about filters built in buy a Fuelab or Aeromotive for race or high performance, daily driver for all the hp ranges get anything with a filter with flow rating you need in the price range that works.

Reactions: juddski88

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Not a project worth starting IMO. Those of us that have been in the game for the past 15-20 years have seen and done almost everything you can imagine when it comes to lift pumps. Some worked, some didn’t, some have been improved on and are still around today.

Belt driven Mitusa, electric Carter, fuelab and aeromotives before they came out with diesel approved units, kennedy’s, TTS, PPE were some of the first ones that most of us used as that’s all there was. Then came the modern day airdog and FASS and BD venom units that range from daily driver to race.

TBH what’s on the market today is really well designed and tested. Can’t really go wrong with any of them. Just pick the one that suits your needs.

My opinion if you don’t care about filters built in buy a Fuelab or Aeromotive for race or high performance, daily driver for all the hp ranges get anything with a filter with flow rating you need in the price range that works.

Heck yeah, (sorry Ken for hijacking your thread), but my non-diesel approved Aeromotive 11110 is still kicking after 11 years with a external regulator and donaldson combo filter setup. It isn't quiet, but it will move more fuel than a duramax needs to make 1500hp. (And it's uscg approved)

The fass signature series pumps are awesome for the majority applications. Super reliable and great customer service if needed. Can't ask for a whole lot more.

Reactions: MarkBroviak

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My biggest gripe with most pumps is they aren’t brushless so draw more amps to run, are noisy, and when they fail replacements are like half the cost of a complete unit if not still under warranty. And no warranty on the replacement one you do get either.
This is why I usually recommend a Fuelab or aeromotive. No brushes. I’ll never buy another FASS or similar again unless it’s super cheap or they go brushless.

Reactions: juddski88

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Need to add that one to my engineer tee-shirt collection..

Engines out. Time to clean em up, and resolve these few remaining issues. So I can start on a new project. Please

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
ba5159b7197713a42367ae0e2aea1f07.jpg

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My biggest gripe with most pumps is they aren’t brushless so draw more amps to run, are noisy, and when they fail replacements are like half the cost of a complete unit if not still under warranty. And no warranty on the replacement one you do get either.
This is why I usually recommend a Fuelab or aeromotive. No brushes. I’ll never buy another FASS or similar again unless it’s super cheap or they go brushless.
See this would be extremely easy for me to solve but my problem is if I use as good pump (IMO I'd rather use an Aeromotive for their simple speed control) I would be priced well above the market and have inventory sitting here OR have to build to order which will piss people off.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
See this would be extremely easy for me to solve but my problem is if I use as good pump (IMO I'd rather use an Aeromotive for their simple speed control) I would be priced well above the market and have inventory sitting here OR have to build to order which will piss people off.
Just remember, It's better to be pissed off than pissed on... ;)

Reactions: 2004LB7