Twins, headers, up pipes, single, ect???

chevmike

WI Salad
Apr 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Every time I think I have figured out what I am going to do somehting else sparks a question. I wanted to go with MPI twins for the cooling, reliability, and obviously the power. Now with all the talk about headers and up pipes I wonder how a GT42 would spool. would that setup be more similar to the twins then as far as EGT's and quicker spool? Also I would assume the up pipes and headers would be basically useless with twins (at that level)

I dont plan on doing a dual fuel setup. maybe a modded one but I need to stop somewhere.

The question is large single,up pipes and headers or Twins pro's and con's???

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
I am definitely not an expert but I think the twins are the way to go. From the research I have done it seems like they will give you more power, lower EGT's, and better driveabolity. Plus the cost of a GT42 charger with install kit along with the headers, and up pipes will cost you way more than the twins from MPI. I have been doing a lot of research on MPI's twin setup, and I have yet to find an unhappy customer.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Every time I think I have figured out what I am going to do somehting else sparks a question. I wanted to go with MPI twins for the cooling, reliability, and obviously the power. Now with all the talk about headers and up pipes I wonder how a GT42 would spool. would that setup be more similar to the twins then as far as EGT's and quicker spool? Also I would assume the up pipes and headers would be basically useless with twins (at that level)

I dont plan on doing a dual fuel setup. maybe a modded one but I need to stop somewhere.

The question is large single,up pipes and headers or Twins pro's and con's???

Im not sure what to do either.
I think im going headers, injectors, modded cp3, MPI twins, heads, cam

chevmike

WI Salad
Apr 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I know that twins are the way to go over a single large. My question is what happens when you throw the headers and up pipes into the equation

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i just wouldnt think that a single CP3 would have enough fuel to spool a 42.
i know 2 guys running a gt42 with a single fueler, maxpower lb7 is one of them his truck is wicked fast ( 12.0 at d/a of 6500 ft about to be high 11's ) and still drives pretty good , but i think a gt42 with headers and up pipes would be good but no were near what twins will do and remain 100 % streetable and still be able to tow

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
a modded single can definitely do it...it's going to be at a cost though....virtually $2000 for Wicked's biggest one in production now....he said yesterday he has a bigger one in testing...I only have a S64X and am losing Rail pressure like crazy on a brand new LBZ pump...17K psi at 35 psi of boost roughly

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Instant boost, 0 lag, no crazy drive preasures, Very affordable, drop in kit, daily driver = Super charger / Big single charger

your are right i think that will be the ticket who ever gets it figured out first it should be the ultimate no compramize setup :D

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I tested up-pipes with the twins and saw no gain. I didn't test the headers.

I have to laugh everytime I hear you can't run a single CP3 with this or that turbo. You lose rail pressure because of tuning. I'm running big injectors with a stock cp3 and I run 25k + rail pressure on a 11 sec run.

Sure dual pumps make a butt load more power and I'll surely have them when I build a motor, but a single can work well with any turbo. If you can't spool a big single charger, change converters.

chevmike

WI Salad
Apr 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I tested up-pipes with the twins and saw no gain. I didn't test the headers.

I have to laugh everytime I hear you can't run a single CP3 with this or that turbo. You lose rail pressure because of tuning. I'm running big injectors with a stock cp3 and I run 25k + rail pressure on a 11 sec run.

Sure dual pumps make a butt load more power and I'll surely have them when I build a motor, but a single can work well with any turbo. If you can't spool a big single charger, change converters.

From everything I have read I would completely agree with that. I'm glad to know that you tested the up pipes with the twins. Thats about what I expected for results.

On a side note: what is your reason for running bigger injectors while keeping stock motor and CP3?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
To pull the fuel duration way back and inject it into the bowl of the piston(in theory anyway). I was able to pull the timing and fuel way back and make more HP.