Twin turbo help

LLY

Diesel Addict
Apr 24, 2008
Idaho
I am in the early stages of getting ready to build a twin turbo kit for my truck,I am going to use the stock turbo,so I was woundering what turbo I should get,I was thinking about a aurora 5K,would it be big enough,or should I get a GT42? what do you guys think?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you are building it yourself, I'd use an S400 with the 74mm inducer and ETT (extended tip technology). I think I have one sitting around with 1 hour on it for $1200. It flows similiar to a GT4202, but it has a wider range. An A5000 would be too restrictive.

LLY

Diesel Addict
Apr 24, 2008
Idaho
If you are building it yourself, I'd use an S400 with the 74mm inducer and ETT (extended tip technology). I think I have one sitting around with 1 hour on it for $1200. It flows similiar to a GT4202, but it has a wider range. An A5000 would be too restrictive.

Ok well I am trying to get the money so when I have it I will see if you still have the turbo,thanks

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007

that is my understanding as well. you would need at least a gt 42??. There are a few guys that have built their own that might chime in.

the MPI kits are well worth their cost in my opinion. They have all the guess work resolved and are bolt on :D...I installed a kit and I couldn't believe the quality and how easy assembly was.

LLY

Diesel Addict
Apr 24, 2008
Idaho
Beleave me if I had the money I would,but I am having a hard time just comeing up with the money for just a 1200 turbo

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Theres other k31s other what Ats makes,would need a T4

Theres a few cheap S400s out there for $600 & up, their not going to have ETT wheels but will be a good starting point.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
Has anyone run a non ETT and compared it to the ETT wheel? All of my compressors have the ETT wheel, and are very driveable. However, I haven't had the opportunity to drive a non ETT S400.

I'm curious if it's as critical on a compound setup where wastegates can be dialed around a 'peaky' compressor. Might save somebody 3-400 dollars...

Nick

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Has anyone run a non ETT and compared it to the ETT wheel? All of my compressors have the ETT wheel, and are very driveable. However, I haven't had the opportunity to drive a non ETT S400.

I'm curious if it's as critical on a compound setup where wastegates can be dialed around a 'peaky' compressor. Might save somebody 3-400 dollars...

Nick
I haven't driven a non-ETT S400, but the ETT one has good drivability. But there are no "free lunches", a wider map pretty much means less efficiency at high boost. While the ETT was good, the GT4202R (both had the same specs) did make more boost and was a couple tenths quicker.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I will be trying a gt45 shortly, according to the math it should work very well. Building your own kit should save you at least $2500. Pretty simple to do:D

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Brock,

Is it for the LLY or your Dodge? Remember, the HP limit for the LLY will be reached regarding the rods bending... The bottom end MAY be next... What HP did you dyno with EFILive?

Rob

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
I will be trying a gt45 shortly, according to the math it should work very well. Building your own kit should save you at least $2500. Pretty simple to do:D

I was over at a guy's house last week looking at how he did a twin setup on his LB7 and went for a ride......Yup, it pretty much sealed the deal for me doing twins... I'll be getting a couple turbo's ordered this week, one core for the engine I'm mocking the setup on and the first stage compressor I'll be using. I talked with Forced Inductions a few months ago about what I'm wanting to do and they suggested an s400 75mm compressor and said they could do a 91mm turbine wheel with 1.32A/R exhaust instead of the 96 or 83MM wheels. I'm going to do a little more research/calculations before I buy the turbo, but look to see a twin LMM from me by the time that the dragstrip opens here in the spring :D .........

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
To minimize downtime I'm going to get the battery moved onto the frame, and get the coolant reservoir moved and maximize the space, first thing. Then I'm going to build the large turbo mount, hotpipe, start of the downpipe, wastegate location, and as many other parts as I can before I fit everything onto the truck. I know that there will be issues that come up, but I feel that I can cut the truck down-time to a minimum by going this route.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
To minimize downtime I'm going to get the battery moved onto the frame, and get the coolant reservoir moved and maximize the space, first thing. Then I'm going to build the large turbo mount, hotpipe, start of the downpipe, wastegate location, and as many other parts as I can before I fit everything onto the truck. I know that there will be issues that come up, but I feel that I can cut the truck down-time to a minimum by going this route.

Let me know what you use for intake piping and where I can get some;)

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I haven't driven a non-ETT S400, but the ETT one has good drivability. But there are no "free lunches", a wider map pretty much means less efficiency at high boost. While the ETT was good, the GT4202R (both had the same specs) did make more boost and was a couple tenths quicker.

So since the small turbo can take care of the drivability the non-ETT should be better for a twin setup?