Turbo Response time

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
My current Kodiak tune from PPEI has the exhaust brake on all the time in a low level but since any adjustments of the throttle invokes the exhaust brake i feel like the truck is no longer able to predict van position since it spends all its time preparing to stop the truck when I lift off the throttle.

Could this be affecting overall responsiveness? I feel like the truck is less responsive and requires more throttle input.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Do you have a DSP switch for different tunes? You could just get a tune with no brake. I would do away with the tune and just get a turbo brake switch. You have a factory option or can build your own switch and install it like you do a DSP switch. I guess I don’t know if that works on your 4500 like it does on the pickups though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I believe that the turbo brake switch for the pickups was modeled after the kodiaks. Some kodiaks come with it stock and it was discovered that the pin outs for the switch are also in the pickup ecm. Upon trying it is was discovered that the programming is there just no switch from the factory

It is very likely that all of the kodiaks have the programming so all you would need to do is wire it up like dozer said then have the tune adjusted so as to not have any turbo brake built into the throttle

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
^ that’s what I was thinking, but couldn’t remember if the DIY switch and the factory one worked the same way or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I don't think I was clear. I have a turbo brake switch on the dash stock, however lots of guys that tune Kodiaks turn the turbo brake on full time but at like 10% effectiveness.

My question is if my Vains are always going from turbo brake to positive pressure all the time if its slowing down the response of the turbo. For example going down the freeway at 70 and i lift off the throttle for a car in front of me the 10% turbo brake comes on, now when i put my foot back on the throttle nothing hard just maintaining speed it goes to start making boost. My thought is im working the crap out of the turbo brake and just increasing wear. When I tow the trailer I just use the button on the dash.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I dont think there is any measurable wear as a result of the turbo brake tune. Infact it may be beneficial for them to move more as it will help keep them from getting bound up with carbon, etc

As to the response time, it really depends on how the tune is set up. There is more than one parameter that controls the vanes on the turbo and can increase or decrease the response time

When moving from 10% to say 60% or whatever the tune calls for will likely happen quite quickly unless it is badly set up and ether over or under shoots the actual position needed to create the desired boost. In that case usually the PID control will make the necessary correction to bring the vanes/boost to the desired level. This usually happens pretty fast but if set up wrong it is possible it may never reach it

To better understand what is happening I suggest you log your truck including the pids for desired & actual on vanes & boost. mm3 injection, throttle %, RPMs. Maybe more. Let others chime in. And post it here

If you have no way of doing this then then there is not much we can do over the internet to help you and you should contact your tuner. Maybe contact your tuner first

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I dont think there is any measurable wear as a result of the turbo brake tune. Infact it may be beneficial for them to move more as it will help keep them from getting bound up with carbon, etc

Agreed I used my turbo brake all the time and with 140k the stock turbo worked perfectly when I pulled it.

A full vane sweep takes less then 1sec. Depending on your tune your vanes are probably going from 100% durring braking to 50% at cruising. That happens as fast as you hit the throttle pretty much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk