Turbo Placement/Mounting Question.

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
When one mounts a turbo-any turbo, is it a must that the turbo shaft is parallel to the ground? If so, why?

My thought process is that a person could eliminate bends by a mounting the turbo on some sort of angle.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
When one mounts a turbo-any turbo, is it a must that the turbo shaft is parallel to the ground? If so, why?

My thought process is that a person could eliminate bends by a mounting the turbo on some sort of angle.

I think its something like 15 deg you dont want to go past

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
hmm thats interesting on the draining......the oil pressure coming from the feed will not push the oil out the drain.... i would think that is even better for the turbo because there is oil on both sides constantly no just being pushed onto one side and dripping off the other.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The oil needs to leave the turbo fairly quickly, and not sit in contact with hot parts, or the oil gets so hot it breaks down into carbon or varnish. The turbo gets hotter than oil can handle.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The oil needs to leave the turbo fairly quickly, and not sit in contact with hot parts, or the oil gets so hot it breaks down into carbon or varnish. The turbo gets hotter than oil can handle.

That I understand what surprises me is since I new it was pressure feed why is gravity needed to return or exit? Under idle (low pressure) I would imagine a slower flow and after a hot (glowing) run some undesirable effects on the oil,As I've seen turbo cool down devices.

So basically it's for low RPM I'm assuming the slight degree in mounting. There is no actual cavity ?