Turbo options for L5P

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
What’s going on fellas. So I have a buddy of mine with a 2018 L5P and he wants to install a bigger turbo, I see a few of these YouTube guys have the stealth 67. But I wanted to know if there are any other options out there and if anybody had any experience with them. Any info is appreciated.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't keep up much with the L5P stuff, but my friend/business partner is pretty into those trucks and keeps up with stuff on them pretty well. He was telling me about those stealth turbos a few weeks ago, and from what he said, they aren't performing up to their claims from what he's seen from guys who are using them. We just put a VGT S467 on his truck though, and it runs very strong. He has a 12mm CP3 for it already, and we're waiting on Flux Diesel to get us a set of injectors for it to see what it is really capable of doing.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive never been impressed with the stealth line. the marketing does not live up to what it should do. The head flow on the L5P's and accompanying cam really let the larger turbos come alive at lower RPM than any other year dmax. ive seen testing done with 472 t4 87 turbine on them that lights them off at 1600-1700rpm on good tuning. This means you can actually tow on it and not make it seem like the truck has to scream to get the turbo to light. The stock turbo will light at 1100rpm.

ive just started looking into the idea of changing mine. The problem is, the trans is not there yet.

@JoshH, i assume they have cp3 conversions for the L5P now? have not looked into that.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I might be taking a stab in the dark here, but I thought mark was working on something for the L5P. I see a company by the the name linco diesel was working on something with mark, then pulled it to do more R&D. But what do I know. My buddies truck is a 2018 so a 6speed still. I think the trans is same as an lml?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I might be taking a stab in the dark here, but I thought mark was working on something for the L5P. I see a company by the the name linco diesel was working on something with mark, then pulled it to do more R&D. But what do I know. My buddies truck is a 2018 so a 6speed still. I think the trans is same as an lml?

The issue that others have had is with a stock vane cage there have been oil leaking out into the turbines and burning oil. DT is the only one now with a better vane cage. I haven’t used one or tuned one of their turbos on a L5P but they should be able to work just fine. Granted most of their turbo products don’t seem to accel or last. As for the tranny they are very similar but the L5P has different input shaft, convertor and pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

Transmission is different on L5P vs LML. The front pump, input shaft, and converter are different.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

as everyone said, very close to the same so very buildable. 10 speed is a work in progress. there are "built transmissions" for them but they are NOT built to any extent that even a basic 6 speed would get in a build.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Oh wow, good to know on the turbo and transmission side of things that explains the extra cost Inglewood is charging. I wasn't to sure about either to be honest.

The only other option I see for turbos is ryan's diesel service and I am not to familiar with that company. I guess my buddy will have to wait on the upgraded turbo for now, since he wants to stick with a VGT.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Lots of companies had them up and pulled them back off the market. I know lots of guys running 472s with cp3s and injectors making 1000hp and the engines taking it. They flow so much air spooling them 400s seems like easy work.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh cmon, nobody out there is making 1000rwhp on stock internals (no matter the Dmax version) on a regular street driven truck. They are just blowing smoke.
This is not Fakebook.

Reactions: slowlml

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
But tom those bookface guys have all the answers and hp magic potions 😂😂
Op, i would definitely wait for someone else to come out with a vgt other than the stealth. In my personal experience ive never put one on that hasnt failed or come off for a different charger down the either cause of failures, not performing as expected, or vane issues.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Guys have dynoed a little over a 1000 on stock internals. That doesn’t mean they will last forever but the L5P is a different breed compared to earlier generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nate’s Dmax

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^ yup. the L5P is much closer to a cummins these days. much stronger crank, beefy rods, and high flow heads. Only issue is like the cummins, pistons are the weak point and will be the let down.