Turbo noise

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
I recently placed an entire LBZ mouthpiece and intake tube on my LLY for testing. I drove with it on for about 2 days on my LLY settings and threw a SAS light and went into 2000RPM limp. I drove about 70 miles in limp mode and changed everything back to LLY items and pulled the battery cables and cleared.

Problem- I have a strange turbo whistle right at 2000RPM's. It is at exactly 2000RPM's and sounds like I'm getting extra air. I have removed the LLY mouth piece twice thinking it was not clamped tight or leaking. No luck. I have also place the LBZ system back on and still have the same strange whistle at 2000RPM's. I put the LLY entire system back on, removed and tightened the innercooler hoses/clamps last night and it is still there. Any help would be appreciated!

DIX

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Look into the mouth of the charger. If there is any contact between the compressor wheel and hsg, you need to replace the charger. The sound is pretty loud, and sounds like a transmission gears or a roots-style blower.

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
There is no contact on the housing. It sounds like someone whistling threw their teeth. No grinding or metal to metal contact noise. I'm stumped that it is right at 2000RPM's.

I did not read the code since I knew it was from installing the mouth piece and filter/tube and not changing the MAF settings.

Dix

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
If it's a turbo issue it will usually do it more then only at 2000 rpm's.

Are you able to make as much boost as you did before?

How does the PCV system look? make sure the bolts are in on the valve covers.... just incase you unbolted them in order to get the LBZ mouthpiece in....

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
I'll check the PCV bolts/o-rings. Does it react at 2000RPM's? I did just remove and reroute the system from the mouth piece and install the plug.

I will check the turbo back and forth also.. Thanks

Dix

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
put a plug of some sort in the air intake side of the turbo. then drill and tap a nipple onto you intake bridge just above where the intercooler pipe ataches and then you can presurize it with compresed air you should beable to hear or feel air if its leaking out. we did this on my truck and it worked very well and found a leak tht I wouldent of found otherwise. I belive kemore also makes a tool for this process

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
I think I found it!!!!!:D:D. It looks like I forgot to tighten a nut I removed on the intake bridge /wiring harness in front of the mouthpiece. I noticed the gasket was loose and there was some seepage. Tightened it and no noise!!

Bad thing is after my test drive I noticed I have a screw in my left rear tire!:eek::(