LLY: Turbo codes present.

SeanKnull

Jul 24, 2012
I normally work on Ford Diesels in my shop, so bare with me! I would greatly appreciate any tips/help/info! A customer really wanted me to tackle this project as his warranty is out.

I installed a new fuel injection pump....everything went well. I got it back together, drove it and it's setting 2 codes. I researched to have the turbo relearned, found how to do that on here, thanks!!! Got that taken care of, it says it's set and it's running great! But after 2 drive cycles P0046 and P2563 is throwing the CEL on.

I read these codes came up for someone else after taking it to the dealer to have it relearned.

I really don't want to involve them, they sounded unsure of what I was talking about as they normally do. I want to try and get some information on this, and fix it myself for future reference.

Like I said, it all went back together great, new seals were used everywhere. It runs great, just keeps throwing these 2 codes, which is driving me crazy! I would like to get this thing out of my shop and back to my customer!

SeanKnull

Jul 24, 2012
On my mitchell program they are saying it's still not relearned. When I called the dealer to see about if they could do it if I couldn't get it with my scan tool, they acted like they never have to do that. I just didn't want to run in there, extra time and money for me and my customer, if I could learn to do this myself. However, it's looking like I have to.......just not real sure on the dealer not knowing why I am having an issue since they never do. Hoping their tool will do it.

dura2004

Oct 6, 2012
Here is what I did, I kept getting these same two codes. First I replaces the vane position sensor, that wasnt it so now I have a good used one sitting on my bench collecting dust. Codes came back. I then talked to a gm master mechanic online, he told me to take out the boost control solenoid and inspect it. He said before I do this take both battery cable off, this will reset the system. Then remove the solenoid, push on the end of it. Its spring loaded and should push in and out without any hangups. Mine was a little dirty, had some soot looking black stuff on it. I sprayed carb cleaner on it and scraped the stuff off. I then sprayed some wd40 on it also, I worked alot better, would push in and out without any hangups. I installed it and havent had the codes come back yet. Its been about a week since I done this.

He said you dont need to do a turbo relearn, it will relearn on it itself. So far so good. To bad I had to spend the extra cash on the new vane position sensor when I didnt need it. :(

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
Same problem here, but I'm getting a P003A along with P2563. Also worried about wasting my money on a new vane position sensor and that not being the problem. Where's the boost control solenoid located and is there a write up on how to remove it.

dura2004

Oct 6, 2012
Boost solenoid is on the left side of turbo as you are looking at it. It plugs into the side of the turbo. Take the oil line bolt off on the top of the turbo and pull the oil line away from the turbo, its a bango fitting. The bolt that is holding it on is under the sensor and its a 12 point bolt. Unhook the senor electrical plug, take the bolt out dont drop it like I did. Once this is done the bracket holding the sensor will come rite off. Get a flat tipped screw driver and use it to slide the solenoid out. Once its out there is a plunger on the end of it, push on it and it will slide in and out.