Turbo change on LMM

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Is there anything tricky about changing the turbo on an LMM?

I switched to an HTT 66 on my LLY and was really happy with it. I'm thinking about doing the same on my LMM but to be honest I havent even looked under the hood of it to see what is different.

Any experienced opinions on a larger turbo like an S400 with 70-75mm compressor on a daily driver and occasional tower of up to 13000 pound trailers?

Thanks.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I have a s475 on my truck and even with 4.56 gears you will not like towing up hills in 5th gear. cruising around and towing in 5th gear nets 0psi of boost. Now this is on the big tune but with a big single you just don't get the spool like twins or a s300 style charger.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Ya. The obvious choice is the twins. I'm just cheap and looking to see if I can get something in between.

To be honest I'm considering buying a 2008 Z06 vette instead of spending money on the truck. I'm just trying to get it all figured out and compare the cost-to-usefulness/enjoyment ratio's.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Ya. The obvious choice is the twins. I'm just cheap and looking to see if I can get something in between.

To be honest I'm considering buying a 2008 Z06 vette instead of spending money on the truck. I'm just trying to get it all figured out and compare the cost-to-usefulness/enjoyment ratio's.

If you can build it yourself the S4 frame turbo's like the 464 are a great option , but to buy a kit to put one on a LMM you will be as much or more than some twin kits , to put a S4 frame charger on a LMM and keep a 5" intake it require a cutsome y-bridge and new pass side IC tube , so in total you have to replace every inch of anything turbo related on the whole truck . If you dont want twins and are on a budget I would consider an HTT S300 or see if BD make a kit for the LMM also.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
If you can build it yourself the S4 frame turbo's like the 464 are a great option , but to buy a kit to put one on a LMM you will be as much or more than some twin kits , to put a S4 frame charger on a LMM and keep a 5" intake it require a custom y-bridge and new pass side IC tube , so in total you have to replace every inch of anything turbo related on the whole truck . If you dont want twins and are on a budget I would consider an HTT S300 or see if BD make a kit for the LMM also.

Does that hold true for the LBZ too Trent ? I figured I had to run a van or an LB7 bridge/ new cold side tube instead of my EGR delete.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Is anyone making a twin kit for the LMM other than MPI? Their product seems to have positive feedback, but do I have any other options?

The HTT was a good turbo, I guess there is no reason why I wouldnt put another one on.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Already sent a PM or email or something like that. I'll give him atleast 2 days to get back haha.

I noticed that not many vendors are quoting anything for "LMM turbo kits". Like I had asked initially, is there something different about changing the turbo on the LMM's than the other models?

I looked under the hood today, looks like there is a throttle and a bunch of other BS. Do I need that stuff? Or could I pipe directly from the intercooler up to an old style y-bridge? I guess I could make my own intake piping and everything out of aluminum. I just want to know what the easiest way to get the turbo on and delete the egr is.

On my LLY I had no problem ripping everything out and cutting all the wires that I didnt need, :rofl:, but the LMM looks more high tech and plus its more shiny and new.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not everyone wants twins. I wouldnt want them..

Only cause you havnt ridin in my truck yet :D.

To the OP, Call trent. Email and PM isnt really gunna get you a response in a timly mater. Hes told me how fast his PMs fill up and emails and it jsut dont work for him. Calling is the best way to get him.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Does that hold true for the LBZ too Trent ? I figured I had to run a van or an LB7 bridge/ new cold side tube instead of my EGR delete.

Yes LBZ and LMM are almost identical motors , just a few minor differences.

Is anyone making a twin kit for the LMM other than MPI? Their product seems to have positive feedback, but do I have any other options?

The HTT was a good turbo, I guess there is no reason why I wouldnt put another one on.

I can do bigger kits that replace both turbo's , and technically One of my LBZ kits would fit with a few little changes that I would be able to do , but Until I can verify it myself I wont sell somebody one, I have several people close with LMM's ready for twin kits they are just saving $$ still .

Only cause you havnt ridin in my truck yet :D.

To the OP, Call trent. Email and PM isnt really gunna get you a response in a timly mater. Hes told me how fast his PMs fill up and emails and it jsut dont work for him. Calling is the best way to get him.

I agree James , but some times a ride isnt enough , it takes owning a truck with twins , most that do will hardly ever recommend anything else ever again because they do some many things exceptionally well . and def if some one needs to get a hold of me phone call and Leave a voice mail if you dont catch me , I try my best to answer emails and PM's but the quantity is getting up there and it is possible for it to take me a few days or possible miss it alll together :eek:.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree James , but some times a ride isnt enough , it takes owning a truck with twins , most that do will hardly ever recommend anything else ever again because they do some many things exceptionally well . and def if some one needs to get a hold of me phone call and Leave a voice mail if you dont catch me , I try my best to answer emails and PM's but the quantity is getting up there and it is possible for it to take me a few days or possible miss it alll together :eek:.

very true. ive been hookin up my dads double decker tounge pull he uses to take the sand car and toys to the dunes with on the back of the truck to show close friends and my dad what twins can do. loaded it weighs damn close to 14k and even on 37s and lvl 3 on the dsp at 60 mph where the single stock trubo would die out on boost and smoke bad, the truck has no lag and pulls hard from there (rolling into it to keep from down shifting). Plus watching the egts hit 1200 and never move from there under load. I know guys talked about the egts being low and big power twins give but with me having 37s, stock gears, 7800# under me, and wings for fenders i was not expecting the egts to still stay at or under 1200 degrees under a WOT condition with that much weight. let alone watch my fuel mileage go up :D. BTW, got your call back the other day, ill call ya tonight