Turbo Bad?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I have my PCV rerouted and I have been getting oil in my IC tubes for awhile. Its not like it's a ton, truck doesn't smoke or anything but there is plenty enough to get all over the boots, this is part of the reason I can't keep them on.
All turbos push a little oil by don't they? My tubes get pretty oily, is my turbo shot?? I am pretty sure it's coming from my small (stock) turbo. How much oil is normal?? Any?

Idaho CTD

Junkie
May 28, 2008
Idaho
It depends on where the oil is. Which pipes is the oil in? No a turbo shouldn't leak oil but there are different reasons for different locations if there is oil.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
It depends on where the oil is. Which pipes is the oil in? No a turbo shouldn't leak oil but there are different reasons for different locations if there is oil.

It's in my driver side IC tube mostly. Then it's like some goes though the IC and around to the ps IC tubes. If I blow my top boot off stock turbo I can actually see the oil coming out of the turbo. Will they push more by if you blow a boot and there is no pressure there??
Doesn't look like there is really much of any oil going from your big turbo to the stock one.

Thanks for help

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
It's in my driver side IC tube mostly. Then it's like some goes though the IC and around to the ps IC tubes. If I blow my top boot off stock turbo I can actually see the oil coming out of the turbo. Will they push more by if you blow a boot and there is no pressure there??
Doesn't look like there is really much of any oil going from your big turbo to the stock one.

Thanks for help

IMHO there shouldn't be any oil coming out.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
All late Dmaxes (LLY+) put oil in their CAC tubing and intercooler that I'm aware of. Yes, the oil can cause CAC boots to slip off. Deleting EGR and PVC re-route will stop most all the oiling.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
All late Dmaxes (LLY+) put oil in their CAC tubing and intercooler that I'm aware of. Yes, the oil can cause CAC boots to slip off. Deleting EGR and PVC re-route will stop most all the oiling.

I have the EGR deleted and PVC rerouted. Do you think I should still be getting oil in the tubes???

c55asleep

Apr 23, 2009
Miami,Fl
Yeah I have. Evertime I blow a boot off it gets cleaned up then next time it blows its all oily again :(

Maybe look into that first before fabbing up new clamps. I read your having problems blowing the boot off. I have kinda the same set up as you and thankfully no problems yet. That oil can really be a pita.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's something to ponder if you are feeding air directly from one turbo into another:

The air coming out of a turbo is pretty hot. If you do not do anything to cool it "between turbos", you are going to have shorter life on the secondary compressor. I spray water between the two turbos as a simple solution with good results so far. Some might not agree, but it works for me.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Here's something to ponder if you are feeding air directly from one turbo into another:

The air coming out of a turbo is pretty hot. If you do not do anything to cool it "between turbos", you are going to have shorter life on the secondary compressor. I spray water between the two turbos as a simple solution with good results so far. Some might not agree, but it works for me.

That makes sense but damn I've only had this setup on for 6 months :(

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Take the intake off the stock charger and check for axial play. If there is excess, that could be why its leaking oil. Or excess float (more than 2mm up and down) might mean there is some damage there and oil is getting out of the journal bearing and past the shafts.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Axial (in and out) there should be none. Float (Up and down) I'd say about 1mm is still ok. Obviously there is going to be room for the oil to fill and pressurize the bearing. Any more than that though may not be a good thing.

The thing about the axial play... when the compressor or turbine is blowing air/being driven there is going to be all sorts of forces on the wheels and ultimately the shaft and bearing. Barking the turbo is probably one of the hardest things you could do to it because of rapid changes of speed and pressures exerted on the wheels. So when you've got that going on you can shock load them axially and cause some damage. I'm pretty sure thats what took out my stock turbo. Not much damage but the turbine wheel was rubbing on the housing hard enough to resist rotation haha.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Hmm. Damn I have barked it a few times while sled pulling. I just went and looked at it there is some play but not enough for it to rub I wouldn't think

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Hmm. Damn I have barked it a few times while sled pulling. I just went and looked at it there is some play but not enough for it to rub I wouldn't think

If you can't see any marks from it hitting, you can use a sharpie and mark a line around the inside of the housing. Next time you look at it you will be able to see if the wheel scraped the housing.