LMM: Tuning

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
Hello guys I have a question about adding mods. First off I have an 08 LMM ccsb and have a built tranny and all the supported mods to handle max effort from Bob Olsen. I’m in a dilemma about doing the new mods myself to save on money and get the knowledge of doing it myself. I’m getting ready to install Marks 68mm stage 2 turbo, PPE up pipes and manifolds, exergy 10mm stroker pump, Wehrli high flow bundle kit, 185% over injectors and was wondering with the tunes I already have, can I limp my truck to Mark at Danville from Oklahoma. I don’t have an autocal since Bob did it personally but now can’t reach him to turn truck back to stock and get different tunes from other tuners, since the ecm is locked with his vin license. Do you guys think I can limp this truck a few hundred miles without harming it or should I have it done at the shop. I want to save money but don’t want to spend more in the long run.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Hello guys I have a question about adding mods. First off I have an 08 LMM ccsb and have a built tranny and all the supported mods to handle max effort from Bob Olsen. I’m in a dilemma about doing the new mods myself to save on money and get the knowledge of doing it myself. I’m getting ready to install Marks 68mm stage 2 turbo, PPE up pipes and manifolds, exergy 10mm stroker pump, Wehrli high flow bundle kit, 185% over injectors and was wondering with the tunes I already have, can I limp my truck to Mark at Danville from Oklahoma. I don’t have an autocal since Bob did it personally but now can’t reach him to turn truck back to stock and get different tunes from other tuners, since the ecm is locked with his vin license. Do you guys think I can limp this truck a few hundred miles without harming it or should I have it done at the shop. I want to save money but don’t want to spend more in the long run.

Is your ECM actually locked? You may want to actually reach out to Bob and see if he can either get you a retune or if he actually locked his ECM. I know Bob can be rough at times but he may have an autocal he can send you with an updated file on it, he may also tell you its not his problem so its worth a shot.

You shouldn't drive that truck more than idle/light throttle to say load it onto the trailer, the durations will be all wrong and can cause harm to the truck. The ECM doesn't know/care what size injectors are in it, it just knows what fuel pressure to target, how long to open the injector for, and when to open it. Opinions vary but its better safe than sorry depending on what tune is in the truck and how much injector duration it calls for.

Your best bet is to call Danville and see if they have any dealers in the area who can flash your truck with Mark's tuning where he would be able to put a pretty good base file in it and tweak it when you go for dyno tuning (which is what it sounds like you're going to do).

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I don't believe the LBZ & LMM ECMs can be write locked. Read locked, so you can't read the tune out, yes, bur not write. You should be able to flash over any tune that's in it, so Mark shoukd be able to send you an autocal with a base tune to get it safe.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I have tried to get ahold of Bob for quite some time and no answer. I don’t know if he had his license on an LB7,LLY or LBZ,LMM. I know with LBZ and LMM I can over write but being I can’t get ahold of Bob I have no idea. Thanks for the info on driving the truck. I’ll try Bob some more but I figured it’s a lost cause.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You will have no problem tuning it. I wouldn't be worried about driving it to Mark to have him tune it. Just drive it easy and be ready to manually downshift on hills and if trying to get around traffic.

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
Sounds like a good idea to just send Mark the ecm. Does anyone know about how long these mods would take to tackle. I know some are faster than others, but just a general idea. Trying to figure out how long the truck will be down. Thanks again

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
Probabaly 2 days if you've never done it. Can I ask why such big injectors? 60s and a 10mm would be plenty for that turbo and stock bottom end, which will definitely be on borrowed time with all that fuel and a quick spooling turbo. If you're going that big with injectors might as well do a 12mm.

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I got a good deal on the injectors that i couldnt pass on. I'll have to defuel it alot but i dont see the need in buying a 12mm when i already have a 10mm. This is my first time doing the mods but pretty mechanically incline. 2 days seems fair enough. Thanks for the input.

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
Ne-Max you are correct, they were Elvis's. I'm out of town till mid June but I appreciate the help. Do you make trips to Oklahoma from time to time or just passing through. Does anyone know who the best ceramic coating shop is for manifolds and up pipes, i know ugly still works but it would be nice to have a good looking set.