Tune Levels

Layton

Dec 1, 2016
What is the highest hp tune you would run on lb7 stock tranny? On EFI i saw something about anything over 150 needing a lift pump and built tranny, but wasnt sure since i had a 125 tune from edge on it previously and never had any issues. Thanks.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
First gear , ok , second , alright , third depends on damage already done , forth , on the edge , then FIFTH if you dont get out of it , BINGO BINGO IS HIS NAMEO !

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you want to be able to tow and beat on the truck, 0 HP. If you tow light and don't thrash, 50-100 HP depending on how religious you are about locking out 5th. On most 100+ HP tunes, just rolling into the throttle in 5th will blow through the clutches.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I've tuned more than a handfull of stock tranny trucks, and an 1850 pw on stock sticks is playing with fire which should be around a 90-100hp tune to the wheels. If you drive it cautiously on that big of a tune, it will last a good while, but beat on it, and it will let loose right quick. I've got about a 50hp tune that several have towed heavy with without issue, but it only really adds fuel above 2500 rpm's where stock tuning begins tapering the fuel down. Torque is the killer here, so make sure the tunes are written with a stock trans in mind, and avoid driving it on a small tune, then switching to a kill tune as all you will do is kill your trans. The allison adapts to the tune and power output, and doesn't do well with sudden power increases. I would say dsp5 switches kill more stock allison's than having a big tune does as to many drive on there small econ tune, then think they can just switch to a kill tune.