LMM: Trucks killing me any help is appreciated

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes I had one shop tell me 5500 but this shop did a buddy's truck and a few other friends so they quoted me that price minus machine shop they said if its needed witch even I though it should b decked at the least

Every head that I take off gets vacuum tested, pressure tested and a minimal resurface now matter what. That way you know they aren’t cracked , if there is a valve seating issue and you have a good surface to reinstall. Almost every single head will have some guides that are out if spec. Replacement of valve guides is where you start spending the money on a head rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
$800-$1200 around here in Northern WI/Northern MI seems to be the going rate

Ok, Good to know. :thumb:
So it seems my local shop in California is not far off then depending on what they end up needing.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
For CA I would say that might be a little on the cheap side, but definitely going rate most other places.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
For CA I would say that might be a little on the cheap side, but definitely going rate most other places.

That was the starting price... :D

Trust me the place I use is not cheap but I usually don't have the headache's or issues of other shop's I have dealt with in the past. :thumb:

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Ty all for ur help I do recall seeing a post about injectors that caused an over pressurizing issue is this possible from what yall have seen and read of this post I'm just asking because I dont know so wanna make sure of everything before I drop that kinda coin

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ty all for ur help I do recall seeing a post about injectors that caused an over pressurizing issue is this possible from what yall have seen and read of this post I'm just asking because I dont know so wanna make sure of everything before I drop that kinda coin

Injectors won’t cause this on your truck.

willydmax

Wrenching daily
Apr 13, 2020
Midwest
Sounds awful high for machine shop work. I've replaced head gaskets on around half a dozen Duramax trucks and have never had to have anything done to the heads but decked, vacuum checked and for cracks. (Only one had a crack in the injector bore (a LLY) and had to replace head. It would run coolant right out beside the injector. It had 425k on it tho.) My machine shop guy does lots of Duramax heads. He only charges around $170 for both heads and that includes steam cleaning them. I've never went back with stock bolts and always go with studs. Last one was a 12 LML about a month ago.

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Sounds awful high for machine shop work. I've replaced head gaskets on around half a dozen Duramax trucks and have never had to have anything done to the heads but decked, vacuum checked and for cracks. (Only one had a crack in the injector bore (a LLY) and had to replace head. It would run coolant right out beside the injector. It had 425k on it tho.) My machine shop guy does lots of Duramax heads. He only charges around $170 for both heads and that includes steam cleaning them. I've never went back with stock bolts and always go with studs. Last one was a 12 LML about a month ago.

The 3500 was just for the head gasket so idk how much .machine work will cost me but trying to get an idea just so I cant have enough to get truck back able to drive more then around town for a sec then home