LMM: Trucks killing me any help is appreciated

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yes it stays pressurized over night but hold 10 to 15 lbs at idle so sure it could b head gasket but how that much pressure

Sure sounds like a headgasket issue to me.

Sure sounds like bad head gaskets.

as stated, all classic indications of head gasket/s

As stated above, these are classic failed head gasket symptoms. The issue is the truck puts too much pressure into the cooling system from the combustion event. The cooling system, with no external pressure added, is able to self regulate. What I mean by that is it heats up and expands causing pressure which has a limit set by the cap (if it goes above the cap setting then it bleeds pressure/fluid onto the ground). When the coolant cools off the system goes back to neutral pressure. Now that you've added external pressure into the cooling circuit the system cannot relief that pressure as it is a sealed system and thus you get the hard radiator hose overnight/next morning symptom that is 99.9999% of the time the final nail in the coffin of the head gaskets.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Was quoted today 3500 to redo heads long as they dont need machine work and b done in a week is that fair
I think that is a fair price for complete head gasket job. I would not reinstall without a machine shop pressure checking them and decking them, though. If his quote does not include that, then it may get too high. Most machine shops are expensive for that work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Was quoted today 3500 to redo heads long as they dont need machine work and b done in a week is that fair

I think that is a fair price for complete head gasket job. I would not reinstall without a machine shop pressure checking them and decking them, though. If his quote does not include that, then it may get too high. Most machine shops are expensive for that work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

100% agree, a qualified machine shop needs to check the heads over. Every set I've done the heads needed some work. My shop won't touch a headgasket job without the heads going to the machine shop to be fully inspected/touched up (check for cracks, deck, check valve recession, spec guides etc).

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

they will need to be decked at min or you run a higher risk of blowing another gasket. in which case, your looking at 4-5k instead of 3500 (assuming more than just a deck is needed).

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
3500 is cheap. I wouldn’t let that shop touch my truck. Prices range here from high 4000s to mid 6000s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
Settle down green turd everyone here wants to help you, just help us help you :thumb:

What you're describing is the exact same symptoms as my buddy's lbz was having when his headgaskets were toast. We just fixed it last month and have around $2500 in it with just parts, gaskets, fluids, etc. It can be done cheaper but expect to have at least $2000 in it when you do it yourself.

We called about 6 or 7 different local shops for quotes and if they even called us back the price was $7500-$9000:eek:

Good luck, stick around , and let us know how it goes. We'll be here to lend a hand

Thank u sir see that's what I'm talking about there are still decent ppl out there yeah I may not b great with grammer
But talking trash isn't really necessary I'm just trying to learn and ask questions so ty for offering

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
As stated above, these are classic failed head gasket symptoms. The issue is the truck puts too much pressure into the cooling system from the combustion event. The cooling system, with no external pressure added, is able to self regulate. What I mean by that is it heats up and expands causing pressure which has a limit set by the cap (if it goes above the cap setting then it bleeds pressure/fluid onto the ground). When the coolant cools off the system goes back to neutral pressure. Now that you've added external pressure into the cooling circuit the system cannot relief that pressure as it is a sealed system and thus you get the hard radiator hose overnight/next morning symptom that is 99.9999% of the time the final nail in the coffin of the head gaskets.

Thanks man yeah it dont bleed out the cap this resivor has a bleed off on the bottom of it and I hate it cause its dumping at 192 on my edge Turner but on the dash never goes past 210 idk it has drove me insain

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks man yeah it dont bleed out the cap this resivor has a bleed off on the bottom of it and I hate it cause its dumping at 192 on my edge Turner but on the dash never goes past 210 idk it has drove me insain

Your issue isn't the temperature, it is purely pressure based. It can overpressurize at 120f or 210f, it doesn't matter when the head gasket or gaskets are compromised.

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
First off don’t get pissed at people for wanting to help understand your question. This forum is full of extremely knowledgeable people who are willing to help if they can get a better grasp on what’s going on.

Second off this sounds like headgaskets or a cracked head, order a combustion leak test kit, just to be sure.

Not mad about ppl wanting to help but to talk crap about someone's grammar and offer no help what so ever isn't necessary thats all I'm saying

Greenmachine07turd

May 7, 2020
Wood river il
3500 is cheap. I wouldn’t let that shop touch my truck. Prices range here from high 4000s to mid 6000s.

Yes I had one shop tell me 5500 but this shop did a buddy's truck and a few other friends so they quoted me that price minus machine shop they said if its needed witch even I though it should b decked at the least

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
100% agree, a qualified machine shop needs to check the heads over. Every set I've done the heads needed some work. My shop won't touch a headgasket job without the heads going to the machine shop to be fully inspected/touched up (check for cracks, deck, check valve recession, spec guides etc).

I know every Job is different based on what type of work the heads need. What would be the average Typical cost in your area for the machine shop and any parts needed to correct the issue's?

I asked my local machine shop and they said they typically have to replace the guides At least on the few sets they have done. I believe I was told the Average cost was around $1000 to go through a pair of duramax heads.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I know every Job is different based on what type of work the heads need. What would be the average Typical cost in your area for the machine shop and any parts needed to correct the issue's?

I asked my local machine shop and they said they typically have to replace the guides At least on the few sets they have done. I believe I was told the Average cost was around $1000 to go through a pair of duramax heads.

$800-$1200 around here in Northern WI/Northern MI seems to be the going rate