Truck won’t crank

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Ok awesome thanks so much for the help! I just wanna try my new goodies out lol. To test those pins do I just use a test light or multi meter? Hook to ground pin and power pin? 2 of each? And the ignition wire should only have power with key on?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Ok awesome thanks so much for the help! I just wanna try my new goodies out lol. To test those pins do I just use a test light or multi meter? Hook to ground pin and power pin? 2 of each? And the ignition wire should only have power with key on?

I would use a test light. easiest way clamp the light on the battery ground check the 2 b+ turn key to run test ignition+. then clamp on battery + and test 2 grounds

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Turbo, cp3, injectors, 8 new glow plugs. Glow plug module was taken out, tried reseating all glow plug module connections.

I already have the stock tcm file, it was flashed with Ppei tune over a year ago.
Nemax suggested trying to read the tcm file because that will tell you if it's communicating

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Tried grounding tcm and no luck. Took test light to every pin both on positive and negative and not getting any power to tcm

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Please be gentle with the test light.. good way to screw up some pins and cause more issues

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Test lighted fuse 7 which is tcm-batt and have power there. So essentially I should have power going to tcm but must have a broken wire?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its going to be something simple, just how it works. IIRC there is a ground on the driver side valve cover on the top near the back. is it connected?

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Since I’ve owned the truck I have had one ground that’s never been connected. It’s on the firewall stud, about 12 inches long and have never known where it goes. It’s never affected anything before.

Does this sound like that ground your talking about James? I had a buddy hold thisground to the motor and it still wouldn’t crank before. Is this ground your talking about around the gpcm?

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
The main ground for the body is back of drivers head to the firewall. It's a large bare ground strap.

The data line goes from bcm-gpcm-tcm-ecm. If any of these are unplugged you will loos communication to everything downstream. Even with no power or ground to one of them, I believe you will get comm downstream. Tcm internal failure, broken wire, or bad connection is my guess. Any 06-10 tcm will allow the truck to start. Lbz tcm won't show your gear indicator but will still run.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Since I’ve owned the truck I have had one ground that’s never been connected. It’s on the firewall stud, about 12 inches long and have never known where it goes. It’s never affected anything before.

Does this sound like that ground your talking about James? I had a buddy hold thisground to the motor and it still wouldn’t crank before. Is this ground your talking about around the gpcm?

like dallas said, thats just a hood ground. the glow plug controller is plugged in correct?

nmband13

Jan 17, 2011
Sioux Falls SD
subscribed.

He said he does not have power on pin 70, B+ at all times, he says fuse is good so its got to be a broken wire. I'm going over tonight and we'll get to the bottom of this issue :hug: