Question: Truck useing oil after build

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Siince my build and getting all the leaks fixed and what not. and after about 1000 miles so far my truck has gone through about 3 qts of oil. Is this normal? there are no leaks at all under around or on the truck anywhere. the one thing i did notice is when whe had the intercooler pipe off the other day there was oil on the inlet side of the turbo and in the boot. My pcv is rerouted so i know its not comeing from there. could the turbo be bad and leaking tht much oil? there is no vsisble smoke when driveing. not even when i floor it is there verry much smoke at all. truck runs and drives great . The only thing i seem to notice more is the smell from the pcv more then before othere then that every thing seems to be great :confused:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I think most performance engines run a bit more clearance here and there. My truck has a bit more smell then it did before. I does not use that much oil though, at least I dont htink it does. How is you oil pressure vs stock?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
oil presure seems to be about the same well at least the needle sits in about the same spot. on my edge display its about 22-24 at hot idle and 32-38 hot at around 1800 rpm. wht could cause oil on the inlet side of the turbo ?

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
oil presure seems to be about the same well at least the needle sits in about the same spot. on my edge display its about 22-24 at hot idle and 32-38 hot at around 1800 rpm. wht could cause oil on the inlet side of the turbo ?

The Seal? only way I could see it imo

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Siince my build and getting all the leaks fixed and what not. and after about 1000 miles so far my truck has gone through about 3 qts of oil. Is this normal? there are no leaks at all under around or on the truck anywhere. the one thing i did notice is when whe had the intercooler pipe off the other day there was oil on the inlet side of the turbo and in the boot. My pcv is rerouted so i know its not comeing from there. could the turbo be bad and leaking tht much oil? there is no vsisble smoke when driveing. not even when i floor it is there verry much smoke at all. truck runs and drives great . The only thing i seem to notice more is the smell from the pcv more then before othere then that every thing seems to be great :confused:

:confused:
Are you talking about the charge air pipe coming out of the turbo or the inlet side from the filter Tommy?

If it's the charge air side, it's your turbo considering the pcv is rerouted-it's the only way oil can get in there. Is your drain on your turbo ok? No restrictions in the drain line? Drain line is the same size as stock? If you pressure up the turbo oil housing due to the oil return being restricted, it will force oil into the exhaust and charge air sides.

If it's the inlet from the air filter-someone is screwin with ya.:joker:

Check your turbo shaft for play. If it's tight, then it's likely a restriction in the oil drain.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Yea theres oil both on the air intake side and where the intercooler pipe ataches :confused: the drain line is stock I dont know how there could be a restrection as it all open inside the motor plate. and a steel pipe so no way to get pincehd ? its very odd

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Tommy are you running Dyno or syn. oil?

After it breaks in good and the rings seat nice, (which I guess should be about right now), it should start using a lot less. In my race motors (gassers) we'd break in with dyno before switching to syn. oil?

How much is coming from the pcv hose, after hot is any smoke from it real visible or faint.

EDIT: now that I think about it though, 3qrts seems like a lot lol. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
And the verdict on the shaft play is..............

Do you have a little Mike Myers special PCV cannister or do you just let it drip on the ground? If you have a cannister, how much oil is collecting in there?

Last edited:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
And the verdict on the shaft play is..............

Do you have a little Mike Myers special PCV cannister or do you just let it drip on the ground? If you have a cannister, how much oil is collecting in there?

no can, he's a dripper

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
No can but i have yet to see a spot of oil on the ground yet? mike im useing delo and was going to switch back to the syn just like you said when its all broken in. the oil still even looks pretty clear. I will try to check the shaft play tomarow

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
LOL thanks tht makes me feel better :rolleyes::)

Sorry Tommy did not mean to make it sound bad,Rings Might not be seated,When you guys installed the piston did you use motor oil or WD-40 in the bores,We have found it takes longer to seat with oil WD-40 helps them seat faster and less smoking on first start up.