Truck dies at random, no codes

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Howdy y'all, haven't posted in a long while. Started having random issues of the truck shutting off at random, it dies like you turned it off with the key and doesn't trigger any codes. I noticed it first a few months ago while driving it would feel like it would kick out of gear, engine light would flash and it would immediately pick back up and continue like there was never an issue. Would happen in a split second. Now it has been shutting off at random when I first start it in the morning to warm up, after a few minutes of running it just dies. No codes, lift pump and all electronics stay running. Today it happened idling in park leaving work, as soon as I shifted into reverse leaving the store and while coming to a stop after driving on the highway for 10min without issue. Starts right back up. Once I got it home RPM's were slightly surging in the driveway. Checked/tightened terminals, batteries are optimas that are 5yrs old. Battery volts were 12.6 (passenger) and 12.4 (driver). I pulled the 12.4 battery and threw my boat battery in and it started up fine. I re-read the 12.4 battery and it was back at 12.6. reinstalled it, started it up and began a data log. As soon as I hit the brake to shift into reverse, it died again. Started back up and drove around the block without issue. Data log read normal, I can email it over if anyone wants to look at it. I'm thinking this is an electrical issue and could potentially be the batteries. Or air somewhere in the fuel system, haven't looked into that yet. I have had some issue with my ignition where it doesn't want to unlock and allow me to turn the key which could also be the culprit. Any ideas were welcome! Going to order an ignition cylinder but have put it off since I need to take it to a shop for programming. Thanks y'all.

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
Just as a precaution, you might try to find the circuit grounds and see if any repeatable events point to a specific ground. With out good circuit grounds it's possible fo voltage to have no easy way to ground so it jumps ship to another circuit and grounds through them. This could be taking down the bus and cutting fuel.

Reactions: BLACKMAX1

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've heard of the circuit board in the main fuse box getting warped and causing some power to drop out at random and causing similar issues you describe. Not sure what to look at to see if it is your issue as I haven't looked into it myself.

Reactions: BLACKMAX1