Truck cuts off at high rpm

Mdmax

Aug 30, 2009
Other day I punched it to get in front of big rig on freeway and all the sudden pedal hit the floor and motor went back to idle and almost got me killed. Tested it again and does the same thing when i it a certain rpm but dont know exactly what rpm. I figured to had something to do with efi. Not sure when the problem started but the only thing ive done in efi since I got it was check and clear codes. I didnt think rev limiter would cause this.

Mdmax

Aug 30, 2009
no the pedal doesnt pull away, it happens so fast but its a combination of my stepping on the pedal and the truck sort of jerking back a little as the truck cuts to idle. Picture stomping on the gas, getting up to 50-60 mph and the truck just cuts off. thats what it feels like but doesnt shut off just kicks down to idle and after a few seconds i can accelerate again.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sounds like throttle positioning sensor to me. check and pull codes the truck might have

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
sounds like throttle positioning sensor to me. check and pull codes the truck might have

That is what I was thinking. Is there a potentiometer on the gas pedal? If it is it sounds like the pot has a bad spot in it. You might try some contact cleaner on it and see if that works.

Mdmax

Aug 30, 2009
from what i understand if there is any problem at all with the sensor the computer picks up on it. I just checked again and no codes. I was thinking that if it happens every time i hit that rpm on the road wouldnt it do the same thing while im parked? it doesn't. Ill change the fuel filter but my luck would not allow such an easy solution. thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
from what i understand if there is any problem at all with the sensor the computer picks up on it. I just checked again and no codes. I was thinking that if it happens every time i hit that rpm on the road wouldnt it do the same thing while im parked? it doesn't. Ill change the fuel filter but my luck would not allow such an easy solution. thanks

you would think it would but we had this issue on my truck a looooong time ago when the duramaximizer was the only chip out (least that we new of in late 01). the TPS went out and only at a certain spot in the pedal would it all of a sudden drop to idle while driving. wouldnt do it in park.

Mdmax

Aug 30, 2009
you would think it would but we had this issue on my truck a looooong time ago when the duramaximizer was the only chip out (least that we new of in late 01). the TPS went out and only at a certain spot in the pedal would it all of a sudden drop to idle while driving. wouldnt do it in park.

That makes me feel better, I guess I will take it apart and check it. thanks everyone.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Before you take anything apart- Does it all the time? just under hard throttle? If it's only under hard running, I'd say your running out of/not enough fuel. Try a new fuel filter. They need replacing every 10-12k

Mdmax

Aug 30, 2009
Ok well as of right now its neither the TPS or the engine fuel filter. Changed both with no change. I just recently replaced the airdog filters no more than 3-4k ago. Ive had the same tuning for almost 2 years untouched. While I was just test driving it, it cut out everytime at about 3k rpm. Any other ideas?