LLY: truck cranks for like 5-6 before it will start issue, WHY?

kvw4x4

Oct 7, 2015
it cranks quite a bit longer then normal, it will start everytime just takes awhile, letting it sit for a couple days doesn't effect how long it cranks to start, we rebuilt the fuel filter head, one thing I noticed before and after the filter rebuild is that the primer pump never hardens up, any suggestions?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Injector return rates are probably high. Lift pump will help a little. (Bandaid)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You might try a new filter head. I think mine cracked or something rebuilding it never helped. Lift pump would help it start if that the case too. It’s just going to leak fuel until you replace the filter head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
I'd buy a new filter head before I even thought about replacing injectors. Is it something that just happened within a couple of days or been gradually getting worse over a year ?

If just started happening I'd bet filter housing has a problem.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
A clear piece of fuel line between the filter housing and the test port would give you your answer real quick if the filter head is an issue or not. I would moreso expect a start than stall from a cracked filter head though.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Explain please

Install a piece of clear fuel line between the fuel filter and the T block that goes to the test port. If it is the filter housing leaking, you'll see an air pocket form in the clear line. If no air bubble/pocket forms, then theres no air leak. You can normally pickup clear vinyl tubing at a hardware store for a $1 a foot.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Install a piece of clear fuel line between the fuel filter and the T block that goes to the test port. If it is the filter housing leaking, you'll see an air pocket form in the clear line. If no air bubble/pocket forms, then theres no air leak. You can normally pickup clear vinyl tubing at a hardware store for a $1 a foot.
Cool deal. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Fwiw Just something to think about there is a thread on here that is related to fprv on the lb7. it can cause low rail pressure during start up hot or cold ppe makes a plug to address the concern it is associated with a p0087 and may set a p1093 it's cheaper than a $700 gm fuel junction block as well as a filter head from the dealer if its not leaking. If high injector return rates are the culprit the only way to address that is overhaul of injectors if bodies pass inspection and flow test or r and r injectors. keep us updated curious as to what is found

kvw4x4

Oct 7, 2015
One thing we figured out. With the weather getting colder here it started to get a lot harder to start. We plugged the truck in for 12 hours and after being plugged in the truck started very quickly.

kvw4x4

Oct 7, 2015
I would like to bump this up a bit. Adding if Truck is plugged in overnight it starts a lot faster. Not perfect but faster. The truck was at dealer. Fuel holds pressure to filter seems to have an issue on high pressure side. There were a couple injectors that were close to
+\- 4, dealer wrote still has long crank high psi side only ramps to 11,000 psi, checked pressure relief valve that was ok.
Attached is notes from dealer. Including balance rates

Attachments

• A0998CB0-01FB-4DE9-A024-C0B5DA7518E6.jpg
    A0998CB0-01FB-4DE9-A024-C0B5DA7518E6.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 26

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds like high return rates on the injectors.

It start better when plugged in because it is cranking over faster so the CP3 pump is spinning faster.

New battery's, fresh starter, lift pump, will all help aid starting and act as a band aid. But more then likely it won't start good until you replace the injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro