Trans Temp

Mar 6, 2010
Mansfield,Ohio
Hey fellas just drove down to myrtle beach and when i got here my tranny went limp and was reading 200 degrees. Ive never noticed it getting that hot before, just wondering if that is a a bit warm and/or how to cool it down. Thanks

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Hey fellas just drove down to myrtle beach and when i got here my tranny went limp and was reading 200 degrees. Ive never noticed it getting that hot before, just wondering if that is a a bit warm and/or how to cool it down. Thanks

Trans won't limp at 200F. It goes into hot mode at 259F. Explane what happened.

Mar 6, 2010
Mansfield,Ohio
When I got into the heavy stop and go trafffic it reached 200. I took off at a stop light and when it shifted it lost all its ass and wouldnt shift, the check engine light did come on. I let it sit for a half hour and it ran fine, the check engine light is off but the temp hits 200 pretty quick. Hope this explains a little better, thanks.

jmac5058

Nov 16, 2009
Iv seen 200 many times well mabey not many but I dont think tranny temp is your problem you say the check engine lite came on you need to check what code was thrown.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Hell if ya have one of the big purple trannys it's pretty much normal to see 200+ operating temps.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Is there a way to read the codes even if its not showing? Or am i gonna have to wait for it to come on again?

Same way you read codes that are showing with a Tech II. Not sure (never tried it) if a Generic code reader will work. But I do know a Tech II will show codes if there is one without a MIL request.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just left that area, and my trans temps would hit 190 REALLY quick with the heat up there right now. SO I wouldn't worry about the trans temp causing this. Your gonna need a TECH II or EFILIVE to read the trans for codes as most generic scanners will only read the ECM. If you get a P0700 then you have to have the TCM scanned directly with a quality scanner like those above that can read it.