Trans Locked Up

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
If indeed it is E shift valve is sticking in an established build something is most likely failing sending debris through the trans causing it to stick.

07LBZWYO

Aug 6, 2014
I've had the p0872 before but it's never not let the truck drive.

It's weird, start up the truck and there's a bit of grinding then it goes away. Once the Trans warms up a bit the grinding starts again only in park or neutral. When I turn the truck off you can still hear the grinding slowing down as the transmission stops spinning.

In park I can clear the codes, reverse works like normal. Drop it down to drive and take your foot off the brake and the truck will roll forward until it throws the p0872 then it goes into 4th and nothing. But like I've said before when the truck has thrown a p0872 it goes into 4th but will still drive.

Can put the truck into reverse after the p0872 and it's still fine.

The last one I seen that had these symptoms had a grenaded torque converter, and the c1's were welded together and c1/c2 clutch housing was destroyed also. All the fluid looked like glitter in the Trans and there was metal shavings everywhere....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439680667.204545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439680667.204545.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439680667.204545.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 77

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The last one I seen that had these symptoms had a grenaded torque converter, and the c1's were welded together and c1/c2 clutch housing was destroyed also. All the fluid looked like glitter in the Trans and there was metal shavings everywhere....

View attachment 39378

It had multiple problems. Converter didn't cause the notching in the drum and didn't hurt the clutches. Severe abuse probably caused the trans and converter damage and using .067 koleen steels notched the drum.

07LBZWYO

Aug 6, 2014
It had multiple problems. Converter didn't cause the notching in the drum and didn't hurt the clutches. Severe abuse probably caused the trans and converter damage and using .067 koleen steels notched the drum.

Correct, this one had multiple problems. Was just trying to help out is all

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Those notches did'nt come from a tie up mike?

No they didn't. The drum is made of very soft metal because it saves on tooling. The Alto kolene .067 C2 steels are very hard and cut through the soft drum like a hot knife going through butter. Thicker steels don't do this.