Trans Locked Up

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Just wondering if anybody has experienced or heard of a transmission locking/seizing up while driving? Atleast I think it was the transmission..

Driving down the highway doing 70 this morning and ssomething locked up for a second, just enough to throw me forward and chirp the tires. Then it drove again fine and then again something locked up and threw me forward and chirped the tires.

Not sure if this is the trans? Torque converter? T case? Rear end? Anybody hear of anything like this?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Had something like that happen once in another truck. Bolt came out of the carrier in the rear diff and it would get caught between the carrier and the case.

It made some great sounds too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
I had the same thing happen to me and it ended up being a snap ring in the transfer case that broke. It ended up taking out the speed sensor and locked up my trans for a second. My first sign was while backing up if i throttled it I'd get a huge bang. Hope this helps!

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Well whatever it is. It shit the bed this morning...truck just revs no power to the wheels. Rattles like a son of a bitch from the bellhousing. But what's confusing me is the truck started smoking at the exact same time? Nice bluish haze

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Truck has reverse, but when you put it into drive nothing, it rolls forward at first when it first engages but then nothing.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
i see you have a built trans, but I have seen some stock trans burn the c1s up cause the same thing where you have reverse and as soon as you go to drive it throws range shift inhibited. have you dropped the pan to check for material or pulled the spin on down to look at the magnet?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I've had the p0872 before but it's never not let the truck drive.

It's weird, start up the truck and there's a bit of grinding then it goes away. Once the Trans warms up a bit the grinding starts again only in park or neutral. When I turn the truck off you can still hear the grinding slowing down as the transmission stops spinning.

In park I can clear the codes, reverse works like normal. Drop it down to drive and take your foot off the brake and the truck will roll forward until it throws the p0872 then it goes into 4th and nothing. But like I've said before when the truck has thrown a p0872 it goes into 4th but will still drive.

Can put the truck into reverse after the p0872 and it's still fine.