Trans fluid pouring out after 20QTS !!!! HELP!!!

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
changed internal and spin on filters, went to fill it with the recommended capacity and before I got to 20 qrts it started pouring out the top of the tranny all over the ground !!!

I thought these things held 24 qrts=6gals..???

btw, when i drained the tranny all there was at max was close to 3 gals in transmission.

I have the truck now on level ground, engine running and its WAY over the the max on the dipstick... when i was filling it backed up out of my funnel, then all over the ground coming out of the top of the tranny...

whats the deal??????? '05 chevy duramax, etc.......................................?

please help...........................................

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I wouldnt run the truck with it over full

Im not sure how you drained the fluid but if you took 3 gallons out I would put 3 back in
The converter is probably still full

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
20 quarts!!! HOLY HELL... I am not trying to be rude but where the hell did you read the Allison holds 20 quarts of fluid?

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
no. no .. not rude.. the stinking duramax manual says 24 qrts.......

i'm fixing to kill something... (going to get manual.))

rob

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
am i smoking crack or what??? what an idiot... the manual says 24 qrts. i cant belieive it.. i googled it and some say 14qrts... sure i shoulda rechecked my manual, but i've never changed out an allison fluids yet... so all the big talk about allison made me think 24 qrts WOW thats a lot... so in capacities section on the duramax it says page 5-36 'cooling systems' what a dummy, i just thought automatic transmission where it says 24 qrts..below that it says 10qrts for the engine oil................................................................................

I thought it was seriously low on fluid and shoulda just added 3 gals like i thought then check.............................

i replaced the internal filter where about a half gal came out after removing it.... so i thought my tranny was seriously plugged...

i'm second owner 100k miles and i was to assume they never changed out the fluid... etc.................................

rob

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
When you rebuild one with a standard shallow pan it will take about 5 gallons. If you just pull the pan with the trans in the truck and let it drain, you will only have to put like 3 gallons back in. I think??