Tranny limp questions

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Why does the 6 speed trannies not limp like 5 speeds? The old ones if slipped they say ouch and throw a code, the 6 speeds don't ever seam to limp until it's real bad at least thats what I hear. I'm pretty conservative on my tune compaired to others so I personaly have not destroyed my 6 speed trans yet or that I know about cause no limpy yet :confused: How bad can the 6 speeds be hurt before they actually start throwing codes? This is a question about why, and not that I need to get a built trans.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
the 6 speeds were sightly re-designed and have the allison equivilent to the transgo kit in them , and also have a better piston design in the front drum to maximize clutch surface area of the c1's and c2's . that is why they are harder to limp .

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I am pretty sure the C3's are the same. Usually I will only limp with a very rough and crappy tune in, (tried it for a buddy) and it will limp on the shift to 5th or 6th if I push that far.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
After mine has limped it does not seem to limp as often. but the tuning I am using from Pat is far superior to what I ran before when I limped.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I thought a lot of guys where just smoking the converter first so you are SOL by the time it actually limps. Since limps are clutch from slippage right?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I thought a lot of guys where just smoking the converter first so you are SOL by the time it actually limps. Since limps are clutch from slippage right?

There are only certain faults in the Alli that are called limps. Some problems are called defaualts and some are called ( can't remember, Im old :eek: ) I call them all limps.:D But you are correct; limps are mostly clutch problems.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Will it complain if your puttin the boots to it? :D Or will it be badly hurt by the time it throws a code?

I ran a dyno tested 480 RWHP tune in my '07 for 6000-8000 miles (can't remember exactly) with 35 track runs and hard street driving...It never limped or coded, but when Mike took it apart, two sets of clutches were smoked pretty bad...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I ran a dyno tested 480 RWHP tune in my '07 for 6000-8000 miles (can't remember exactly) with 35 track runs and hard street driving...It never limped or coded, but when Mike took it apart, two sets of clutches were smoked pretty bad...

C3 and C4 were wasted.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

x2...

I never limped my trans but when I took it apart C3 and C4 were SMOKED!

on the other hand, a buddy of mine has an 05 LLY CC/SB like mine, he limped his probably 10 times before I took the trans out and built it. His clutches were nowhere near as bad as mine...?

ben

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thats odd. I just remember the fisrst time I limped I freaked out and checked my fluid and it smelled burnt really burnt. I was then told it was kinda normal, I have never found out for sure if it is?

The truck still shifts like a dream with the big tune in. Would I be correct in my assumption that bad tuning was the reason for my early limps?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thats odd. I just remember the fisrst time I limped I freaked out and checked my fluid and it smelled burnt really burnt. I was then told it was kinda normal, I have never found out for sure if it is?

The truck still shifts like a dream with the big tune in. Would I be correct in my assumption that bad tuning was the reason for my early limps?

Bad tuning certainly could have contributed for your limps but the fact is if it threw incorrect ration codes it slipped the clutches and therefore did some damge. How much we don't know till we look inside.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Thats odd. I just remember the fisrst time I limped I freaked out and checked my fluid and it smelled burnt really burnt.

All the new trans fluids smell [and look] burnt even when they are still fine, looking at/smelling trans fluid to determine its condition doesnt really work anymore. Just my own observations/opinion...

ben

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
All the new trans fluids smell [and look] burnt even when they are still fine, looking at/smelling trans fluid to determine its condition doesnt really work anymore. Just my own observations/opinion...

ben

Smells can fuel you with some of this new fluid.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks Mike and Ben, I was assured by my freind and dad that the s burnt smell was normal.

I know the Alli is in need of some love here soon. The truck has been sittin for the better part of 2 years, with me only driving it when I am home, but I know the thing get the piss beet out of it when I am drivin. I will be interested in seeing what kind of damage has been inflicted in there.