Towing MPG?

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas
We raced in Temple, Tx yesterday. 272 miles round trip and used 30.6 gallons- 8.8 MPG.

We ran the GM process of injector cleaner 2 weekends ago, running it for 45 minutes off the milk jug. Would have gone longer but the jug's contents started looking more and more like dirty oil/fuel and less like clean diesel so we stopped. It's due for injectors but we're trying to push it off as much as we can since we just don't have the money right now.

I don't have a good pic of the whole rig. Trailer is a 32ft long 8.5 tall Cargo-Mate triple axle.
Truck is extended cab dually.

Last edited:

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
I stand corrected, I do have a rig picture, at least you can see most of it.

20140301_101255.jpg

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Do you run the speed limit or better70/75? Doesn't sound bad really at that speed with your rig. I'm guessing you had a little in town.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Failing inejctors can also lead to lower rail pressure from to much fuel returning, and that will definately lead to lower fuel milage. I know I was lucky to break 10 towing a 25 foot travel trailer running 70 with a failing CP3, swapped out the CP3 and the milage jumped up to over 12.

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Failing inejctors can also lead to lower rail pressure from to much fuel returning, and that will definately lead to lower fuel milage. I know I was lucky to break 10 towing a 25 foot travel trailer running 70 with a failing CP3, swapped out the CP3 and the milage jumped up to over 12.
how would excess return lower mileage? I would think that excess return would lean the motor and increase mileage?

Also, the EGT in the right exhaust manifold was between 850 and 1050 on the highway. Boost was between 8 and 12 PSI.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
High return = low rail = poor fuel atomization = more fuel used. That low rail also affects boost and timing too.

Lance LB7

Nov 5, 2013
Kentucky
9 MPG sounds perfectly fine to me when pulling that long of a trailer with bad injectors. was the wind blowing? something that size will catch a lot of wind on the road. and when was the last time you changed the fuel and air filter?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
how would excess return lower mileage? I would think that excess return would lean the motor and increase mileage?

Also, the EGT in the right exhaust manifold was between 850 and 1050 on the highway. Boost was between 8 and 12 PSI.

Your thinking gas, not diesel. A diesel simply puts out what the fuel injected in puts out essentially. You give it more fuel it puts out more power(to a degree), less fuel less power. And like dozer said, excess return=low rail pressure, and low rail pressure equals poor burn. As a comparison, I have a 32' HOLIDAY RAMBLER TT I tow, and I'm getting about 10-11 running 70 with it now with a good CP3 that holds rail pressure which is better than what I got with low rail pressure hauling a much smaller trailer.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
sounds normal to me, it is a DRW truck, lots of rolling resistance, pulling a box, with lots of rolling resistance, and what MPH were you towing at?? I always saw 8-10 towing our last 2 TT campers, went to the 5er and MPG went up to 12.5.. I always towed at or below 65MPH. and my 5er is 5k heaver, 4 feet longer, and 3 feet taller.. BTW nice car, buddy at work has a top alcohol rail and he has to run a scatter shield on the cage

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
sounds normal to me, it is a DRW truck, lots of rolling resistance, pulling a box, with lots of rolling resistance, and what MPH were you towing at?? I always saw 8-10 towing our last 2 TT campers, went to the 5er and MPG went up to 12.5.. I always towed at or below 65MPH. and my 5er is 5k heaver, 4 feet longer, and 3 feet taller.. BTW nice car, buddy at work has a top alcohol rail and he has to run a scatter shield on the cage
towing at 65 with the cruise on.

Thanks. We're setting up for T/D, they havent imposed scatter shields yet but I don't think it will be long. Some of the cars are running 225 now.