Total NooB question but please help! :)

LI16LML

Run till destruct
Feb 2, 2018
Long Island NY
Okay so I’m totally new to the duramax world I’ve had Cummins my whole life. Today I’m doing an oil change at 7700 mikes on my 2016. My questions are...

1) do I have to pre fill the oil filter like the Cummins??
2) I bought shell rotella T5 is this decent oil I looked on here everyone says rotella is good but which one?
3) I bought Lucas oil stabilizer is that okay to use in duramaxes used to put two bottles in my Cummins

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Oil questions are just about as bad as religion and political discussions.

1. You do not need to pre-fill the oil filter. Since it is positioned horizontally on the motor, it is pretty much impossible to keep it from running everywhere if you try that.

2. I think most people who use Rotella run either the conventional T4 or full synthetic T6. There is really nothing wrong with Rotella, but I prefer Mobil Delvac or Chevron Delo to Shell Rotella.

3. I don't like to add anything to my oil. The oil manufacturers develop a very specific additive package to make the oil work exactly how they design it to, and if you pour in another additive, it can dilute their formulation causing it to not work as designed. That said, there are people who swear by a certain additive and have used it religiously in every vehicle they have owned without issue. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with adding the Lucas, but I wouldn't do it.

LI16LML

Run till destruct
Feb 2, 2018
Long Island NY
Thank you for the answer I knew posting that kind of question was risky lol. Just so new to duramax don’t want to do the wrong thing.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree 100% with Josh. The Dmax is very easy on oil. Use just a plain Dino oil and change it when the oil life hits 0 or a little sooner if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I use schaeffers but not their additives. The new standard is CJ5 on their specific 15w40 which is supposed to combat regen cycle heat but who knows? I just like using Scaeffers for the free sample packages and analysis, never hurts to get a free look at what natural wear is happening in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Ironically rotella is exactly what made the typewriter tick go away on my brothers 11 LML

Yup switched to the T6 full synthetic after using delo and the typewriter went away almost entirely. Very rarely hear it where before it was extremely noticeable all the time.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Josh is completely spot-on with his post. Just use a diesel-rated 15w40 dino or 5w40 syn with a good quality filter.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I highly doubt the typewriter tick has anything to do with the type of oil you use. I have seen different people claim every oil will stop it. Who cares if it ticks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
My last LML ticked all the time, it was embarrassing it was so loud. Switched to Mobil delvac and it stopped completely. I've only let the dealer change the oil in my 16 and it's as smooth as a sewing machine. I'd guess the synthectic rotella would be the difference bc I never tried it...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I highly doubt the typewriter tick has anything to do with the type of oil you use. I have seen different people claim every oil will stop it. Who cares if it ticks...
It has everything to do with the type of oil, and like stated below some trucks are so bad its embarrassing, some sound legit like the engine has a serious problem to point even non-mechanically inclined people are like dude your engine is going to blow up. I tried mobil synthetic and it was so bad I dumped the oil out and put dino back in. The LML on the other hand seems to prefer synthetic to get the tick to go away.
My last LML ticked all the time, it was embarrassing it was so loud. Switched to Mobil delvac and it stopped completely. I've only let the dealer change the oil in my 16 and it's as smooth as a sewing machine. I'd guess the synthectic rotella would be the difference bc I never tried it...