torque converter not sliding into tranny

minime88

Jan 9, 2012
Arcadia Fl
Ive been at it all day nd it doesn't wanna go in into the final notch. Its about 1/2in to 3/4in still to high. What could be my problem?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If the front part of the Alli was not disturbed; stand the trans on its ass and use 2 of the bell housing bolts screwed into the converter 180 deg off and carefully lift and spin the converter till it seats.

dirtylb7

slowly but in the process
Oct 29, 2010
utah
Had the same problem some dumb ass pulled the trans out with out pulling the converter with it and messed up the spline's on the inside of the converter..

Will never buy another used trans or converter for that reason

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just out of curiosity; can you spin your input shaft? If you did something wrong in the back end and bound up the gear train to where the input shaft is locked; the converter might not want to slip all the way down.
The turbine, stator, and hub on the converter must line up with the input shaft, stator support, and pump. If the input shaft won't turn, the converter will not settle all the way down.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
x2 on making sure everything turns.

I always put the converters on when I have the trans on the jack ready to go in. I take two 4" long bolts and thread them into the converter, I use them to hold hold it and wiggle it into place. If it doesn't drop in right away I start slowly turning it and pushing on the topside of the converter while lifting the bottom some too, just keep going around and wiggling and eventually it goes. i like to look at where the pump is positioned at first as well, then try to put the converter in close to that position.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
x2 on making sure everything turns.

I always put the converters on when I have the trans on the jack ready to go in. I take two 4" long bolts and thread them into the converter, I use them to hold hold it and wiggle it into place. If it doesn't drop in right away I start slowly turning it and pushing on the topside of the converter while lifting the bottom some too, just keep going around and wiggling and eventually it goes. i like to look at where the pump is positioned at first as well, then try to put the converter in close to that position.

That's the correct way.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Only the output shaft locks in park as the parking pawl is all the way in the rear. The rest of the gear train. Input shaft stopping at the output shaft must be free.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
No the shaft does not turn at all. I though maybe it didn't because it was in park.

As mike said the park simply holds the output as its job is to just essentially hold the driveshaft so the wheels can't move. The input should still turn, however be aware that you are rotating a lot of mass and its not just going to turn with an 8 year olds strength. put on a glove and twist that thing. As noted though, do not use harsh tools. You should be able to turn it by hand with a glove on or at least your wife or a buddy can if nothing else.:thumb: