Torque Angle Sensor

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
I understand that & I guess I didn;t think out my question far enough. I read all these guys doing head studs/head gaskets & never hear any mention of this. I'm guessing that most are not using it as I also guess this is not a tool the average Joe has in the tool box

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i dont think, but not positive, the arp head studs use and angle, iirc they only use a lb measurement. just you need to do those 85 times:rofl:

standard head gaskets with gm bolts require the angle. some people torque them to the required lb then mark them with a marker and do it by eye i suppose. i mark everyone i do and i have a meter just so i can see if i miss any. it is easy to get distracted in a shop with 30 techs:eek:. the snap on torque wrench that has it built in is very nice.

standy

Jun 22, 2009
Royal Oak, Mi.
I am a motorycle tech, so I have one. Honda and Suzuki (as well as other manufacturers, I'm sure) want you to start with an initial torque, and then an angle on all their connecting rod bolts, which is usually 90 degrees. Most claim that it is a more accurate way to properly tension a bolt. I believe the accuracy comes from the fact that you are eliminating variables (grease, oil, dirt, etc.) in the threads and/or bolt hole that would cause inconsistencies in a final torque reading.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It isn't that fancy of a tool. Just a degree wheel that is attached to a short extension and a clear housing with a pointer on it that spins on the extension and has a rod that you place against something to keep it from turning. I think I paid about $10 for mine. They're used for several things such as head bolts, main bolts, flywheel bolts and crank balancer bolt.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
Its all the snap on digital torque wrench is good for...... In my line of work torque angle is very common

friend of mine has one (snap-on). darn thing reads the torque or degree digitally, beeps, and vibrates at the same time. now only if it would fetch beer for you too. :hmm:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
friend of mine has one (snap-on). darn thing reads the torque or degree digitally, beeps, and vibrates at the same time. now only if it would fetch beer for you too. :hmm:

I just picked up the 1/2" Snap-On version, last week. Very trick setup. It gives torque, then counts your degree's

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just picked up the 1/2" Snap-On version, last week. Very trick setup. It gives torque, then counts your degree's
Do you have the model or part number handy, and what does it cost? How high of a torque reading does it go to?

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
For all of those who don't want to buy a torque angle gauge. Every flat on a 6 point bolt is 60* and every flat from point to point on a 12 point bolt is 30*. If you dont have a angle gauge just draw a line on the bolt and draw a line on the block from point to point to get you desired final torque degree.:D

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I have the snap on digital as well. Kent Moore makes one for GM Dealerships ( and others I am sure) that clips on a 1/2" extension and is digital. Doesnt work to bad

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
i have the 3/8 and 1/2 snap on digital torque wrenches and use them just about every day.

Definately worth the price !

My question - to those of you with the 1/2 ..... is your beep super quiet? My 3/8 has a nice beep and vibrate but the 1/2 is a very quiet beep. I asked snappy about it and was told it's normal .... I'm ok with it but would rather have it louder.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
That's for big manufacturing when the torgue spec could be 325plus... It just make's it easier on the worker and sometime's you can't find a wrench that will measure torque taht high....... Say you need to get 200 ft. lbs and nobobdy make's a T wrench that goes that high (I know they do but just for an example) All you can find is a T wrench for whatever to 275 Ft.lbs... Torque the nut to 275 and then an additional 40*

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a 3/4 drive torque wrench that goes up to something like 700 lb-ft. It's like 4 feet long. I got it from a buddy of mine that works in a calibrations lab. It wouldn't meet spec anymore, but I figured I could use it for a big breaker bar or something.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Do you have the model or part number handy, and what does it cost? How high of a torque reading does it go to?

The 1/2in snap reads ft lbs, in lbs, NM, and deg. It shows up to 260ft lbs on the adjustment, but I've figured out that it only beeps and vibrates up to 260lbs but if you keep going it will read up to at least 320lbs I've seen so far. Also if set to angle after initial torque it will still give you the total ft lbs up to at least 340lbs. Some say theirs don't but mine sure does.

I think it runs about $400 or so if I remember right it's been a while.