Tire pressure sensor idiot light

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I take it you and your family do a walk around every time you drive your truck?

In all honesty, I do actually do this (I know your not directing it at me). Working for discount tire when I was young made you see a lot of blown up tires and destroyed vehicles. Not to metion your first thing to do was inspect all tires when the car/truck came in. It's become a habit I can't shake. I find myself looking at people's tires in parking lots judging pressure or tread debt. As I'm walking to the truck I'm scanning all four tires (you can easily see under my truck lol). When I travel I'm a nut about it. I'm always checking trailer tires, my tires, and looking for issues. I've saved Brian's trailer, my dads trailers countless times, my own trailers, a couple other buddies trucks/trailers and our vehicles from what could be road side problems just from looking for issues on tires or running your hand over them. A sensor won't save you from a separated tire or one that is down to cords.

Now if someone could tell me how to adjust the min value for sensor with a tech 2 Id greatly appreciate it :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
He will see things different once he has a wife hauling his kids around. Then all this safety stuff makes sense. Every year deaths on the interstate go down. So something must be working

x2.

ESC alone saves thousands of lives a year. And nobody can tell me "oh I dont need no stinking computer telling me how to drive, im an EXCELLENT driver"....because I see tons of guys on the forum who also "knew how to drive", posting up "for sale" threads about parting out their rolled over truck......

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I take it you and your family do a walk around every time you drive your truck?
You never know when you hit a nail on the road or have a tire take a crap. Sounds like you just need to buy a 12v if you think technology is stupid.

Yes I do within reason. As a man it's my job
to do so. Just last night when I parked my truck in the garage I looked for wet spots on the garage floor from leaks. After parking I looked at my tires and my wife's on that side of our vehicles. Grabbed my son out of my truck handed him to my wife. Went around my truck to get my lunch box and looked at that side of my vehicle. Then while walking out of the garage looked down the other side of my wife's Tahoe. You know how I know this? Because it's ingrained me from growing up on a farm and doing
construction my whole life. On the farm if you don't pay attention to everything you might not work and might not eat. Equipment break downs can kill a farmer at the wrong time. Just as diese and insect damage can do the same to crops if not seen right away.

I build roads for a living and have do so all over the country. I know people get kick backs for contracts. Inspectors get taken care of as do engineers.

Now your being childish and putting words in my mouth. I never said I'm against tech. I love my Dmax and wouldn't mind a new one. My day revolves around GPS at work. I just don't need to be told when I should put air in/out of my tires, put my lights on, put my wipers on, if their is a car next to me, and etc.

Now I know there are lots of people to self involved and need things like that to make it through the day. I'm just not one on them and we only make more of them by forcing some of this stuff on ourselfs.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya who knew TPMS was to blame for stupid, people gov corruption, Obamacare, and maybe the end of the world... Its all in good fun.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

Yaryan92

Nov 30, 2014
Prineville OR
Tpms does have alot of faults tho.. They need to just change to the abs systems that mazda, Volkswagen and some others use. Then when you buy tires and wheels or change sizes or not hauling a huge trailer you can set you air pressure where it needs to be. 80 psi in the rear of a pickup that doesnt haul 90% of the time is stupid. your tires wear out faster. the truck rides like crap. Is it a good thing? yes because most people dont think about things like air pressure. But all these new mandates are making people lazy. 20 years ago when our parents and grandparents drove they checked their own stuff. they didnt need a light to tell them they had a flat. or a back up camera to keep them from running people over. This world is so sue happy it ruins it for everyone else.

D-MaxMike

Jul 26, 2014
Bonney Lake, Wa
It is mandatory that ALL vehicles have TPMS after 2007. You can have them swapped over or maybe your dealership can turn the light off for you.

From my understanding there is no way to turn it off, not even a dealer can turn it off. I had my 05 tpms activated (cause I wanted them) and was told once it is turned on there is no way to turn them off

Last edited:

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
From my understanding there is no way to turn it off, not even a dealer can turn it off. I had my 05 tpms activated (cause I wanted them) and was told once it is turned on there is no way to turn them off
How did you have it activated in your 05? I'd be interested in doing that.

D-MaxMike

Jul 26, 2014
Bonney Lake, Wa
How did you have it activated in your 05? I'd be interested in doing that.

If you don't have tpms in your vehicle already, first you have to buy the passenger window switch from a vehicle that has tpms. ( i got mine off eBay from a Yukon Denali) the tire sensors signal travels through the passenger window switch ( them awesome engineers at GM), then go grab 4 tire sensors. Have the sensors install, then install the window switch then take it to the dealer and tell the service depo that you want the tpms activated so u can read the tire pressure on ur cluster. Don't plug the window switch in without the sensors install or after a few miles the cel for the tpms will pop on and stay on.

This is the exact same switch I bought.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296475.694237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296486.916631.jpg
Notice on the back of the switch on the white label it says w/ TPM. That's what our switch is missing. GL

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296475.694237.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296475.694237.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296486.916631.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419296486.916631.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 13