Tire pressure sensor idiot light

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
I recently just got wheels and tires for my truck. I kept the stock wheels and tires and never took the sensors out of them. Never really crossed my mind because my truck in s WT and does not have the display where you can check each tires pressure. Well I guess the WT still has the ability to tell you that you have low pressure somewhere and then you must look to see which one it is. Well now that the sensors are sitting in the stock wheels in the garage it is now displaying check TPMS. Is there a way to shut it off or am I going to have to break down all 8 tires and pull the sensors and put them in the new wheels?

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
It is mandatory that ALL vehicles have TPMS after 2007. You can have them swapped over or maybe your dealership can turn the light off for you.

f1100turbo

Sep 8, 2014
Buy 4 new sensors and program them for the new wheels.

Unless you "know" someone at the dealer they'll likely not shut it off.

Turbs

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Its only $100 for new sensors, easiest/cheapest to just buy 4 new sensors... the batteries in them will last the life of the tires.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wish we could shut them off with EFI. I hate that crap on my wife's Tahoe and she didn't think to have them replaced when she got new tires. Guess I'll see how long they last.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I really dont know why everyone hates TPMS and has all these problems with it.... Ive never had one problem in years ive had it on my truck. Pressing a couple buttons on the steering wheel while im driving down the road sure beats kneeling down in the snow and mud and getting brake dust and tire crap all over my hands to check tire pressure. Yeah, im "lazy", so sue me.

It seems like 95% of the "PROBLEMS" people all over the forums have with it are due to them swapping wheels/tires and being too lazy/cheap to replace the sensors or add sensors to their aftermarket wheels....and then everyone complains about the "service tire monitor" messages...as if its the TPMS's fault.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I really dont know why everyone hates TPMS and has all these problems with it.... Ive never had one problem in years ive had it on my truck. Pressing a couple buttons on the steering wheel while im driving down the road sure beats kneeling down in the snow and mud and getting brake dust and tire crap all over my hands to check tire pressure. Yeah, im "lazy", so sue me.

It seems like 95% of the "PROBLEMS" people all over the forums have with it are due to them swapping wheels/tires and being too lazy/cheap to replace the sensors or add sensors to their aftermarket wheels....and then everyone complains about the "service tire monitor" messages...as if its the TPMS's fault.

X2. I love mine also. Just wish they had like a watch battery that you could change out every time you do tires.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I love them as they save time. Just wish we could have a much wider ranger on them before they light up the dash. My stock tires were 80psi my newer ones are 50psi had to have it changed so that is would not say they were low all the time.

They also need to find a way for them to auto set to new location when you rotate your wheels. More so that I do a 5 wheel rotation on my truck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
can a tech2 adjust the range? my wifes canyon will throw a light if its 2 psi under door sticker. really annoying since the temps is fluctuating so much out here right now it will be on in the morning and off in the afternoon when i check pressures

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
We have a Tahoe with TPMS stock wheels just replaced all four monitors with the new tires Friday service TPM light came on Saturday prior to this we had replaced all four one at a time when the light would come on. I don't think the system has ever worked for more than a week. This stupid system has cost us several hundred dollars and never worked. I have talked to many people with the same experience stupid f---ing government mandates, I would like to shove this system up their a$$.:mad:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
We have a Tahoe with TPMS stock wheels just replaced all four monitors with the new tires Friday service TPM light came on Saturday prior to this we had replaced all four one at a time when the light would come on. I don't think the system has ever worked for more than a week. This stupid system has cost us several hundred dollars and never worked. I have talked to many people with the same experience stupid f---ing government mandates, I would like to shove this system up their a$$.:mad:

Heres an idea...why dont you actually try diagnosing the system properly instead of just throwing parts at it?

These systems/mandates exist for a reason. If Americans were smart enough to check tire pressures, then we wouldnt have this system. Blame your neighbor, not the government. The government makes these regulations in a response to a problem.

Contrary to popular belief, the government doesnt do this crap "to piss you off and cost you money".

When someone drives around with under-inflated tires and gets into an accident, it costs all of the tax payers money because SOMEONE has to pay for the guard rail or lamp post you just plowed over. TPMS is actually saving all of us money, fuel economy, insurance premiums, and not to mention lives.

See, nobody looks at this stuff objectively/rationally. They just look at it at face value and ignorantly say "oh well thats stupid!!!". When..............its really not...............think about it. (even though I know you probably dont want to, because what I said actually kinda sorta maybe makes sense) :)

Ben

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Dealers and tire shops with tech-2s I haven't just thrown parts at this system. BTW Have you seen the latest? A woman who backed over her child is having success pushing legislation to mandate back up cameras where dose it all end???? How about we mandate that people take responsibility for their own actions??? It sound like you may like Obama care. You're hard pressed to convince me that the Government has a good answer for anything! Their history proceeds them.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Dealers and tire shops with tech-2s I haven't just thrown parts at this system. BTW Have you seen the latest? A woman who backed over her child is having success pushing legislation to mandate back up cameras where dose it all end???? How about we mandate that people take responsibility for their own actions??? It sound like you may like Obama care. You're hard pressed to convince me that the Government has a good answer for anything! Their history proceeds them.

Yes, exactly right. I like obama care, because I like TPMS. :thumb:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Yep sounded a little like your little personal attack did it not?
Sorry I have no idea what your political standings are nor dose it matter.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
He will see things different once he has a wife hauling his kids around. Then all this safety stuff makes sense. Every year deaths on the interstate go down. So something must be working

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
can a tech2 adjust the range? my wifes canyon will throw a light if its 2 psi under door sticker. really annoying since the temps is fluctuating so much out here right now it will be on in the morning and off in the afternoon when i check pressures

I had the dealer lower my PSI setting. The range on mine is like 12#'s and they didn't change that. I think they just used a Tech2 to do it

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The government makes these regulations in a response to a problem.
Show me a law that can fix stupid?

Contrary to popular belief, the government doesnt do this crap "to piss you off and cost you money".
Your right! They don't give a shit what it cost us!

When someone drives around with under-inflated tires and gets into an accident, it costs all of the tax payers money because SOMEONE has to pay for the guard rail or lamp post you just plowed over. TPMS is actually saving all of us money, fuel economy, insurance premiums, and not to mention lives.
BS if the goverment spent the tax $$$ it takes in for roads on roads we would have the best roads in the world. Instead they spend it on their pet projects. The gov will never do anything that will save us $$$. They would rather put it in their pockets.

See, nobody looks at this stuff objectively/rationally. They just look at it at face value and ignorantly say "oh well thats stupid!!!". When..............its really not...............think about it. (even though I know you probably dont want to, because what I said actually kinda sorta maybe makes sense) :)
So you define objectively/rationally as trying to save stupid people from themselves? Ben I'm fine with all these cool toys you like so much on vehicles just give me the option to turn them off.
Ben

You don't need to bend down in the snow and mud. You pay attention to your vehicles. I know I have to put air in a vehicles tires every few months regardless if its got a leak or not.

He will see things different once he has a wife hauling his kids around. Then all this safety stuff makes sense. Every year deaths on the interstate go down. So something must be working

I don't! I know the gov can't keep my family safe and anyone with half a brain should know the same. Look what a bang up job they do with the DMV, post office, and national debt.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You don't need to bend down in the snow and mud. You pay attention to your vehicles. I know I have to put air in a vehicles tires every few months regardless if its got a leak or not.

I don't! I know the gov can't keep my family safe and anyone with half a brain should know the same. Look what a bang up job they do with the DMV, post office, and national debt.

I take it you and your family do a walk around every time you drive your truck?
You never know when you hit a nail on the road or have a tire take a crap. Sounds like you just need to buy a 12v if you think technology is stupid.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Also I work for the Department of roads. If you knew what the hell your talking about I would be surprised. The government watches where every penny goes and does not put it in peoples pockets. Trust me I know. Once again you do not have a valid point.