Question: tire choice

tobyk321

BIODIESEL BURNER
Jun 23, 2007
milford, nj
www.myspace.com
OK so I'm going to the sled pulls at buck motorsports tomorrow and it's been raining here for the last two days (track may be slick but i don't know cause I've never been there). my question is what kind of tires should i run? i have a well worn set of pro comp all terrains on now. i have a friend who will let me borrow his set of mud tires though. i just don't want to get too much traction and break something. what do you all think?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
mud tires since it's been raining so much, it's bound to be sloppy unless it's been covered, then cultivated and compacted nicely once uncovered.

From what I've seen, the ProComp ATs aren't that good at pulling even when new. Not sure why as they aren't *that* much different than a BFG AT which is a well known tire for being good on the track. I think it's because the tread lugs are too close together but that's purely a guess. I'd say they'd be alright on a track that's as hard as concrete - and yes, we have some like that here. In fact, I've seen guys hook with Toyo Proxes on a couple of the tracks. :eek:

C-ya

Last edited:

tobyk321

BIODIESEL BURNER
Jun 23, 2007
milford, nj
www.myspace.com
well I'm screwed!! my friend backed out and doesn't want me using his tires :mad: so all I've got is my worn out all terrains. i don't know if it will be worth going with them. so much for starting the season off good.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
ah, lit 'er rip. Gaining the experience will be benfitial and besides, you never know, the truck might surprise ya and do better than expected. :D

good luck

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
very good point, as i only have one other hook under my belt. we'll see how she does, plus i should have some vids for eveyone here.

Learning is always good. i remeber one of my first pulls I ran a set of wore out AT's and accidentaly put the truck in 4HI. As soon as I came out of the whole I blew the tires off the line and didnt go but 125ft. I got booed off the track but it was a valuable leasonb learned.

I will never run the truck in 4HI again:D

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
they prep the hell outa that track and its always hard, all last year i ran half worn out sport king ATs and never had a problem, finished second in points behind bigdog33, if you get there early you can watch and see all the effort they put into the track.

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
well I'm screwed!! my friend backed out and doesn't want me using his tires :mad: so all I've got is my worn out all terrains. i don't know if it will be worth going with them. so much for starting the season off good.

cant get worse then me :rofl: defending dirt drag champ and street pull runner up and i cant even get my truck there, ill be there tho :D