Tips on Storing a Car over Winter?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Figured I should ask you guys, but do you have any tips for storing a car over the winter?

I plan to:
Change oil/filter
Wash/vacuum car (obviously let it dry a good amount of time before I put the cover on in storage)
Full tank of fuel with Stabil
Put an extra few psi in tires
Plastic bags over exhaust outlets
Remove battery (store in my basement)
Mothballs in mesh bags underhood

Is there anything else Im not thinking of?

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Put some dryer fabric sheets inside the car and trunk. Suppose to help keep the critters from wanting to be inside. Can you put the car on jack stands?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Leave a battery tender on it if that’s an option. Never know you might have a nice day you want to go drive it

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would leave the oil and change it what you bring it out of mothballs unless it is already due for a change

Definitely get it up on jack stands if you can and lower pressure in tires

If you want to top off the tank then maybe find a station that sells the non ethanol blend. It stores better due to it not being hygroscopic like ethanol

Definitely get the battery on a tender or at least charge it up once a month

Be careful about sealing up the car too tight as any moisture left inside will give it a musty smell. A little bit of air is good

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
https://www.carid.com/car-capsule/i...MIn5qV-syv3gIVAdbACh1JWgf8EAQYASABEgIRRvD_BwE

Look into one of these. Picked up my 51 from a guy in Michigan. Come winter he would zip up his cars for winter. Comes with a fan and mice are not suppose to get in. Fan keeps fresh air coming in.

Change oil prior to storage. In the boat world they don't want fuel contaminated oil sitting on bearings

Or move to Texas and you can enjoy year around driving lol. 10 degrees one day 80 the next

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks guys for all your advice.

Car will be stored in a coworker's polebarn, along with a Ferrari (I know, so cool!) and a few other cars. Absolutely no driving the car in winter.

I forgot about dryer sheets.
No bueno on battery tender, hence why Id pull it.
Crack windows. Good idea.
I dunno about jack stands. Was thinking of putting down pieces of carpet or thicker cardboard under the tires though.
Only place around here that I know of that sells pure gasoline is up on my route, so I dont know how that would work as the storage is the opposite direction.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Even if you pull the battery it will need a maintenance change or periodic top off. If not it will start to sulfate and start to reduce its capacity and life. Many lead acid batteries loose a few precent of charge a month and anything less then 100% for prolonged periods will hurt the battery

Older tires with nylon cords had issues with sitting still for too long but the modern tires shouldn't have any issues with storage for a winter.

If it was me and couldn't find any ethanol free fuel then I would run or drain it until on empty and fill it with a gas can when you are taking it out. That way you will only have a gallon or two of bad fuel instead of potentially a whole tank. But realistically you will not likely have any issues ether way

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Skip the dryer sheets, doesn't work. I pulled my cp3 this year and found a mouse nest down in the valley, dryer sheets balled up with it.

Shouldn't even really need to pull the battery, maybe just unhook the ground cable. I agree with the oil change, unless you've got barely any miles on it. I would be more focused on keeping mice away from the car, fuel treatment and unhooking the battery is really all you need to do, not like it's going to be sitting for over a year.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks guys for all the tips and things you've done. Everything helps me decide what I need to do.
The car will be stored for 6 months.
Thats just "one of those things" when you live in the snowbelt.