Tie rods still bend with sleeves

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
A spring rate is listed as a force/distance compressed. In the US where we still used pounds and inches, automotive springs are listed as lbs/in. So for every X amount of lbs you add or remove the spring will compress or raise Y inches respectively. Just for fun, lets say the stock springs are 1000 lbs/in. If we remove 1000 lbs from the front of the truck, the front will raise 1". This is an extremely simplified version of what is actually going on. Since our trucks use a torsion bar and IFS, you would really need to know the amount of rotation/lb the spring is rated at and measure the control arm swing radius. Like I said earlier, I don't know if a weak torsion bar is a little relaxed or settled but still has the same rate or if the rate is actually the same and the ends have simply rotated a little away from their original position.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
And your tires still want to kiss each other.:D

all dmax do that on a 4wd launch. yours does the same thing. it how you counteract it. try again buddy :D :hug:

What about the tension on the torsion bars with lift keys? It seems my old lb7 with wore out torsion bars hardly rises when I launch. Brian we had a convo about this a couple weeks ago. Would wore out bars help with lifting? Or even lowing keys? My lilys bars are still in good shape and front end will lift pretty good as the bars are still doing there job.. trying to hold the front end up which it will take advantage when weight transfers on a launch. But worn bars wont pop up as fast when weight transfers. Idk I was just debating on swapping my worn bars from my lb7 into my llys for the track to see if that would help. I know shocks would help but that's just something I been thinking about lately. Just like a coil spring. James what's your though I know you've messed with a lot more suspension parts and setups then most people.

josh pretty much nailed it it all

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
no prob. without you actually swapping the bars and trying it, its hard to say what is gunna work best on your truck. there are so many variables we are not even concidering on a launch in talking about the bars only that it may work for you. just cause paper says it wont work or help, doesnt mean it wont. shocks, bushing wear, ride height and weight all play a part in there among lots of other things.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
no prob. without you actually swapping the bars and trying it, its hard to say what is gunna work best on your truck. there are so many variables we are not even concidering on a launch in talking about the bars only that it may work for you. just cause paper says it wont work or help, doesnt mean it wont. shocks, bushing wear, ride height and weight all play a part in there among lots of other things.

Including massive wheel hop... Lol...

No matter what you have for a suspension setup, if you don't let out of it when it decides to hop your going to break/bend shit...

05greendmax

dyno and drag numberssoon
Dec 26, 2009
ohio
It's an expensive lesson I have learned but my truck will be faster next time out I garentee it