tie rod sleeves

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
im looking to get my tie rod sleeves to race on 4x4 is there any thing else ill need to get to run on 4x4 ? pm me if who have em thank you

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
you need sleeves but most get a strait centerlink or cognito braces to help with the toe in issue. Lowering your torsion bars when launching will help with this also. ######

Last edited by a moderator:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Your best bet is to get with Michael aka Super Diesel on here.He can get you a center link if you need and sleeves.I will also be selling his parts very soon,Have to check and see if the sleeves are ready he was updating those.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Many of the vendors here carry tierod sleeves, Cognito Braces, and straight centerlinks.

For up to 500HP on unlifted trucks, tierod sleeves and Cognitos will work. For lifted applications or 600+ HP, use a straight centerlink instead of Cognitos.

If your Pittman and/or Idler arms are shot, you will need to replace them before using Cognitos to get max protection.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
well i dont have a big lift i just cranked up the t- bars so if i just get the centerlink and the sleeves i should be fine?

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I'm just running sleeves and braces and have not had any problems yet. Someday, when the funds allow, I will upgrade to the straight centerlink too.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
LOL I did ove kill, I have sleeves, braces and centerlink:spit:

I did one better...Sleeves over HD rods, straight center link with Braces :happy2:

Just kidding :D

Antonio, You should be fine with Cognito Braces and tie rod sleeves. How worn are your tie rods? if there bad, maybe pick up HD tie rods instead of sleeves. Alligator can set you up as he has all of the above. Thats where my sleeves and Braces came from.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
What does running the straight centerlink do? I almost bought one, but upon examining the stock unit its fairly beefy. I can't see the geometry of the stock unit being an issue.

I put on cognito HD tie rods, it helped a bit.

I have a procomp 6" lift and there is braces built into the unit... There is a centerlink drop that is hooked up like the factory centerlink, then the centerlink bolts to the bottom of that. And there is positions in the procomp cross member where some supports bolt to which also connect to the centerlink. So its basically hooked up at the top to the idler and pitman arms and then at the bottom to the centerlink and frame.

Can I even run a straight centerlink with this setup? It doesn't appear that you can run the braces (I have a set), but where they would normally hook up to the centerlink is kind of messed up due to the centerlink drop.

Could I have some tips please?

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
post 12. The problem with our trucks is the centerlink. It is what caused the toe in, and wear to pitman and idler arms. If you fix the centerlink there is no longer a need for braces.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Racinmike, thanks. I can understand that. I never really thought about the rotation.

brown bear - I never thought of it at first, but in 4x4 the front tires want to go forward so they push together on the steering components and when they do it torques the whole setup. And because of the geometry of the centerlink it would rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise which would create some angle on the tie-rods and I guess its enough to make it toe in. Also torques the centerlink and puts force on the idler/pitman arms. Straight centerlink would mean no possiblity for rotation.

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
More parts are always better though, I guess? If you think you need sleeves braces and a centerlink go for it. If you look around a little you can get a strait centerlink for under $300 and sleeves for $80

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I think since I already have the braces I will put them back on when I do the straight centerlink. It might be overkill ,but overkill never hurt anybody.

brown bear

como estan beeches!!
Mar 31, 2009
Durango CO
I did one better...Sleeves over HD rods, straight center link with Braces :happy2:

Just kidding :D

Antonio, You should be fine with Cognito Braces and tie rod sleeves. How worn are your tie rods? if there bad, maybe pick up HD tie rods instead of sleeves. Alligator can set you up as he has all of the above. Thats where my sleeves and Braces came from.

so how do i know if they got worn out?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have had luck laying under it and having someone move the wheel side to side and look to see if there is alot of play.there is Gm specs to do this but its takes awhile.

Last edited: