Thoughts on Running ATF with your Fuel

BradMax00

Dec 6, 2020
Fairly new to owning diesel (I own an LBZ) and heard about running atf in with the fuel, what are your thoughts on this, and also just got an airdog lift pump, can you run atf when using a lift pump?

Thanks in advance!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yes you can but there is no real benefit to it. There may be some cleaning action but it hasn't been proven. Normally additives (not counting de-geling or similar) do one or more of three things. Improve lubrication, clean, and add cetane. ATF won't help cetane but may add a little lubrication or cleaning.

Additives in an LBZ are not necessary but if you want to run some then it is best to use something made for the purpose. With that in mind, many use 2 cycle oil to improve lubrication because it is made to burn in the cylinder with minimal deposits while ATF is formulated to resist burning

If you are trying to improve balance rates ir correct something by cleaning then there are better cleaners. Specifically the AC Delco injector cleaner but it may be on the expensive side if you can even find it. I don't think the cheaper auto parts store cleaners are really worth it and most injector issues that look to improve from cleaning are almost always temporary and cleaners won't fix worn injectors

Personality, I say skip any additives except 2 cycle if you want or anti gel for winter protection. Unless of course you can get the ATF for free. Then I say run as much as you can get (within reason)

BradMax00

Dec 6, 2020
Thanks for your input! How much 2 cycle would you recommend to put in with a full tank of diesel?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Atf works about great, had a personal lb7 with hazing issues. Dumped a quart in the truck. Haze was gone. Ran the injectors in the truck till one of them cracked and started filled up the crank case. I highly recommend atf.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Long time back there was a report on what different additives and oils did to the diesel. The best one was extremely hard to find and expensive, the next best was TCW3 2 stroke oil of your brand liking. Cheap Walmart stuff was just as good as the expensive stuff. ATF and some other oils did nothing or reversed the numbers in diesel. I think Marvel Mystery oil was one of the worst things to use. Be cautious of the oils you put in diesel as not all give positive results.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
running ATF in each tank at fill up killed my LB7 injectors in a short hurry. would not recommend it. stick with 2 stroke oil

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I ran several tanks of almost pure ATF in mine. Had to cut it with a little RUG to get it closer to diesel. Seemed to run good

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive always seen mixed results, as you can see my personal experience was lack luster but its never been clear cut that it works without adverse effects. Use to be a ton of guys that ran it in their old p pump and vp cummins or old 7.3's without issue but as the common rail started taking hold, seemed issues started coming up with it. Maybe my injectors were already going and the atf finished them off?? not sure but there was a distinct tone difference with atf in the tank. much more chatter from the engine like pilot injection needed adjustment and injectors were louder. 2 stroke oil never did that and it ran quieter. same with diesel kleen. 2 stroke oil seems to always be a good "go to" though.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
James I never said it was the right thing to do. I remember Michael ( SuperDiesel ) would fill up with whatever he could find ( hydraulic oil or whatever ) in Denver and drive down here. When he left he filled his tanks out of my used ATF and went home. Wish he was still around as he had a lot of knowledge.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James I never said it was the right thing to do. I remember Michael ( SuperDiesel ) would fill up with whatever he could find ( hydraulic oil or whatever ) in Denver and drive down here. When he left he filled his tanks out of my used ATF and went home. Wish he was still around as he had a lot of knowledge.

oh i know my friend 😁 . crazy eye smiley gave it away. it was more to clarify on my own post and what jason (2004lb7) was saying.

That he did... i really wanted to do more steering stuff with him as he had the power. I just hope he alright out there!

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
My 04 used to get 5-8g of used 15w-40 a tank back in the day it was refiltered of coarse though. Micheal told me to letr eat never had any trouble's other than it was a little smokier on the max effort tunes.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Just run 2 stroke oil or diesel power service, I run diesel power service and can tell when I forget bc i can hear injectors without it.