This diff doesn't look good

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Guys I'm getting a noise upfront I've been hearing for about a month, checked wheel bearings multiple times, new ball joints and axles are fine. It's similar to a wheel bearing growl or whine. Thinking this might be the culprit...looks like rust in the diff too. Bearings at first glance looked "ok".. At a loss here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 145

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Chevy, my friend split it for me at work so I could get it sealed back up (was leaking) song could go on vacation. He said it spat out 4 seconds of pure metal goo but everything looks "ok" I did notice when I spun the passenger side it spins freely but spinning the driver side flange where the cv bolts too it grumbles and felt like t was actually turning something but I didn't know if that is normal or not ?

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
The axle bearings are definitely on the way out. The rust contaminated the fluid causing cavitation to the bearings. Check the ring and pinion gears as well as the spiders for any cavitation.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
The drivers side is the pulling side. Pass is open so that's normal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Gotcha, Hicksville wants 450 for a whole housing , idk how in depth I want to go with gears myself

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
What good is just a housing? You can rebuild for that. Check the bearings, they may be good enough to last a while longer. At least to make it to vacation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Are you sure it's rust in it and not dry film lubricant? GM uses dry film lubricant in the front axle from the factory, and is what gives the front diff fluid the appearance of having green fluid and sludge in it. If it is never changed out, over time it can get pretty nasty. Gm does this so it WON'T rust inside when not used for extended periods of time. They have bulletins out for it, but most still don't read them and automatically assume the fluid is contaminated. That being said it does look like ap iece of metal in the fluid puddle in your pic, you need to open it up and find where it came from. Also need to be very careful installing pinion bearing races in these as the aluminum galls easily. I normally use a race driver set and hammer to drive the races in, but when I did mine I ended up using a press because the races kept turning when driving them in.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Just seen these replies, a whole front diff is $450 with 90k or less miles . It's never been serviced until now, when I get home from vacation I'm going to pull it out I wouldn't think twice about it except this roaring noise I've been getting at highway speeds is annoying. I did see the chunk of metal you are talking about.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i suggest you pull the outer CV off the axle, bolt it back into the hub and leave the rest of the CV off the diff. yours being a new model truck should have the hubs that dont require a CV shaft in the hub to hold it together but i wouldnt chance it.

this way you dont have a diff exploding on you while on vaca and it will tell you for sure if its the diff assuming the noise stops.