thinking of ditching the vgt....

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I've ran the 3794 for a year now, and although it does me well, I've really been considering going to a fixed vane. I'm not sure on the s369 sxe just for reliability issues. I had an s366 on a cummins and went thru bearings pretty fast. Would an s46x sxe spool good enough to tow?

No real issues with the vgt, just a bit bored with it. Love the sound of fixed vane dmaxes. Plus I feel like the vgt robs mpgs.

Stock injectors, built trans, 1074 from evan. Not looking to ever increase injectors, just want a solid 600hp with using an s300 charger preferably. If the s400s are lazy pigs I guess I may have to reconsider. Opinions???

Btw, best affordable kit??

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Put a 480 over that 3794 and let her eat, would tow like a dream nice cool egt's and you wanna talk about whistle. That's what I would do, maybe have mark throw his stg2r vanes in 3794.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
362/364sxe would be the two choices IMO
362 is little bigger than the gt4088R I have, heard couple guys breaking 700hp with a 362sxe but that was pretty much maxed out

As for towing, how much?
15000lb and up often if go 362
Under 15k I'd go 364

Naturally you're more likely to get under the 364 vs 362, shift points can be adjusted to offset it some

HSP, werlie, wagler? PPE, make s300 kits I made my own

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Put a 480 over that 3794 and let her eat, would tow like a dream nice cool egt's and you wanna talk about whistle. That's what I would do, maybe have mark throw his stg2r vanes in 3794.

This gets my vote. I never towed anything other than a sled with my lmm since I went fixed vane. But from the 2.5 vgt charger Mark built me to the 2.5 s400 Mark also built or the billet wheel s475 I have I don't think any of them would've towed that well. If I ever decide to throw my in my town pig it's getting deleted, cp3 swapped a built tranny then twins.

However if you decide to go fixed vane just keep the exhaust housing tight. My housing are both 1.10. They are pretty fun to drive just don't think mine would do well towing.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Boy now that definitely puts out the fire if the 1074 is going to kill an s300s spool. I figured daily driving and towing one could get around it some but maybe not.

Evan, this may be the deciding factor, how much is a restall?

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
I've ran a billet 467.7/87, a cast fleece 463/83 and now I run a 472sxe. I could tow with the 467.7 but never left 4th gear unless it was flat terrain. The fleece was a very good turbo. It had next to zero lag at all and towed great, just as good as stock. If I would have the truck gated it would still be on my truck. I run a 1056 converter

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Did Borghese Warner change the bearing design on the new sxe s300? Or can a guy still eat through thrust bearings like butter?

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I've had a 468/83/.90 on my lml and I've towed fairly heavy with it (36 foot fifth wheel rv) and it does fine.. Just can't expect it to be like a vgt you know.. Now I've got a 463 instead of the 68 and its definitely better spooling and still makes good power.. I wouldn't hesitate to tow heavy with it at all.. I'm on Suncoast 1058 convertor though, so it's a looser convertor I imagine but once it's locked up at 25 mph that don't matter a bit..

Or in my case 15 mph or so lol

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I've had a 468/83/.90 on my lml and I've towed fairly heavy with it (36 foot fifth wheel rv) and it does fine.. Just can't expect it to be like a vgt you know.. Now I've got a 463 instead of the 68 and its definitely better spooling and still makes good power.. I wouldn't hesitate to tow heavy with it at all.. I'm on Suncoast 1058 convertor though, so it's a looser convertor I imagine but once it's locked up at 25 mph that don't matter a bit..

Or in my case 15 mph or so lol

Do you ever have to manually downshift while towing heavy with the 63? Or is your transmission shift points adjusted for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Basically all I did was suggested the OP duplicate what I did turbo and TC wise with 3.73 gears.

I figured out the dmax liked low stall TC 5 years ago and bitched about how lathergic the truck got when I went from a 1600 stall to a 2000 stalll...
while the TC industry was still on their we need higher stalling TC kick...

I'm still waiting for specific performance characteristics of both your TCs to be released.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Basically all I did was suggested the OP duplicate what I did turbo and TC wise with 3.73 gears.

I figured out the dmax liked low stall TC 5 years ago and bitched about how lathergic the truck got when I went from a 1600 stall to a 2000 stalll...
while the TC industry was still on their we need higher stalling TC kick...

I'm still waiting for specific performance characteristics of both your TCs to be released.

You're making out like one low stall converter fits all because you figured out YOUR particular truck liked that for your tuning,application and personal taste. What the industry needed 5 years ago was converters with better efficiency.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Do you ever have to manually downshift while towing heavy with the 63? Or is your transmission shift points adjusted for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've never really towed with the 63.. I swapped it in at the start of our winter and so didn't work much and then I got my new pickup so hadn't been using it much.. But yeah you might would want to run in manual mode still.. I know I did with the 68, I didn't want to black out the road and if I was cruising in 5th at 60 mph on cruise control and hit a sudden hill or something it would put to much fuel to it to quick.. But really if I would pedal it, it did fine as long as rpms were 1800 or over.. If under that then yeah I'd manually downshift if wanting to speed up.. And btw I always ran on my biggest tune lol..

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
You're making out like one low stall converter fits all because you figured out YOUR particular truck liked that for your tuning,application and personal taste. What the industry needed 5 years ago was converters with better efficiency.

Never said it's a one for all.. I wouldn't recommend a 1700 stall for anything bigger than a 64 non VGT

For all generalities for feed back the 1074 is looser than what I got and would work well with a quick spooling FGT.
Which you said would work be a dog.

And in 5 years hell the 1056 I got back in 07 was lose AF for stock size turbos..Only company I know that can make a low stall built TC is DPC..
There's a reason I went with what I did..

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I'm surprised no one has asked what elevation the OPs truck live at. That is huge IMO. I've seen several trucks that would spool a s475/87 1.0 at 336ft with a 1058 fairly decent, bring that truck to 3500ft, no way in hell it would light, drove like shit on the street and was a dog.. Threw a 10531 in it and wow talk about a completely different animal at elevation and at sea level. It's amazing if you pick the right converter to match your setup, use of the truck, and evelation on how much efficient your truck will be like Evan said whether it racing, Towing or simply going to the grocery store. OP if your looking at a s36x sxe you have to decide if your want a smaller version like the 63 or the 69, then choose your converter, but don't forget to factor in your use of the truck and the elevation you live at. If you choose a s400 frame hopefully you don't tow anything much heavier then 10k on a regular basis or you won't like it IMO.

Last edited: