Thinking about getting new shocks

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I have the blue and yellow Bilsteins. I changed to them shortly after getting my truck mostly because people here have raved about them. I've never really liked the ride. The roads around here are pretty rough and the ride with the Bilsteins is causing lots of rattles and my passenger seat is now rattling pretty bad. Also I've noticed the rubber bushings have split too.

How do the Rancho 5000's ride compared to the Bilsteins? Maybe the Monroe Reflex shocks.

I have the Sulastic shackles and they helped some. I tow a 14k 5th wheel tow hauler occasionally.

Any opinions welcomed.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
If you can afford quality shocks like fox 2.0 or kings .... Something that offers adjustabilty. I've ridden in several trucks with higher end shocks and there is a world of difference in comfort. Are your t-bars cranked?

werewolf

Apr 27, 2012
eastern Noth Carolina
Just from my experience, even the slightest adjustment with the torsion bars will affect the ride stiffness. An adjustable shock or one made for a 1-3" lift may help.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
The truck isn't lifted. When I had an alignment the tech said one side was higher than the other and he adjusted them the same while aligning. I did lower the rear with a 2" drop shackle.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I had the Bilstein Yellows at 5000 miles and I left them on for about 500 miles before I replaced them with the Monroe Reflex. That was 50K miles ago and the truck rides great. I also have the Sulalstics as well. I have my ride pretty much dialed in the way I want. The passenger seat rattle lessened with the Reflexes, but the upgraded body mounts pretty much eliminated it....

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
You basically remove the rear body bolts on the cab, loosen the others, jack up the body a few inches, and swap'em out. Pretty simple. Definitely made a difference.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
110 is not that bad cosidering the bilsteins 5100 are about 90 bucks .... You get what you pay for. How is your lower bumpstop? Is it on the control arm?